I have been wanting to make strawberry cupcakes for sometime now and this weekend turned out to be the perfect time to have a mini Valentine’s celebration at Nana’s house with Little Aiden. We made a splendid mess of things, decorated the cupcakes in an old-fashioned way (kind of like I would have when I was still in grade school!) – and finally, having the pleasure of biting into one of these perfectly pink delights. When we came home, we surprised Mr. Smith with a dozen, minus a few, as a Valentine’s Surprise and he was quite thrilled with his early delectable present.
These lovelies are gluten-free and dairy-free. They are moist and chock-full of strawberry flavor, that is ever so scrumptious and very hard to resist! A perfect Valentine’s treat if I do say so myself.
I would love to hear a favorite Valentine’s Day memory you’d like to share! And if you’re looking
for more ideas on how to celebrate the 14th, take a look here, here and here….
Happy Valentine’s Day!
p.s enter my Valentine’s Giveaway here…
Old Fashioned Gluten-Free Strawberry Cupcakes (dairy-free too!)
1 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup light buckwheat flour
2/3 cup strawberry puree (about a cup of fresh strawberries)
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 egg whites
3/4 cup organic sugar
1/2 cup canola margarine, room temperature
1/4 cup vanilla almond milk
- In a blender or food processor, pulse strawberries until they are pureed (with some small pieces). Use 2/3 cup in cupcake mixture – if you have extra puree keep to use for the icing.
- In a small bowl, whisk 1 egg and 2 egg whites. Add in sugar, vanilla, and almond milk, mix.
- In a large bowl, sift together brown rice flour and buckwheat flour. Mix in baking powder and pinch of salt.
- Add in margarine to dry mixture, and cut in with a fork.
- Pour in wet mixture, blend well – you can use a mixer on low if you wish.
- Add in strawberry puree, blend well.
- Pour into lined cupcake tin.
- Bake at 350F for 25 minutes.
- In a medium bowl mix strawberry puree, canola margarine, and vanilla together. Slowly add in confectioner’s sugar until a thin icing is formed. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Spoon onto cupcakes as thick/thin as you would like.
- Decorate with sprinkles or strawberries.