My husband and I are the same way when it comes to rainy days. We just want to curl up; curl up to watch an old movie, curl up to discover a new book, curl up to enjoy a bowl of homemade granola. Saturday was just that sort of day and we ended up doing all three of those things. Making the granola was a lot of fun, and while it baked our home smelt heavenly – perfumed with the scent of baking oats and honey, hemmed in by fresh rain falling outside our open windows.
Sometimes life gets hectic and you need to slow it down a bit. Taking time to enjoy the beauty that is around you that you are living in. Presently, we have a long list of items that are requiring a great deal of attention from us, and also a good deal of stress. But I think there will always be the list, there will always be things demanding attention – so it’s up to us to decide when and how. Of course things need to get done, of course there are stress factors popping up all the time – however, there is also so much more to life, isn’t there? Like sipping an amazing cup of coffee first thing in the morning while the sun comes up, like catching up with old friends, like watching your Little One discover something new and seeing it through his eyes for the first time… oh this is the list that should go on and on! In this busy world that we live in, and on this busy Monday, I encourage you to pause and enjoy the simple pleasures that life is offering you.
the smell of baking / rain falling on the roof /
a piece of dark chocolate melting in your mouth / candlelight /
a walk with no destination / birds singing /
little ones laughing / perfectly seeped cup of tea
bare feet / a smile from a stranger
I hope you’ll try this recipe, because it’s absolutely scrumptious. Whether you pour a bit of milk over your golden granola clusters or sprinkle them on top of yogourt, it really is a delicious and healthy breakfast (or anytime of the day snack!) to get your day started.
Happy Monday dear friends
Gluten-Free/Dairy-Free Homemade Granola with Cranberries, Almonds, and Dark Chocolate
Makes 6 servings
2 1/2 cups gluten-free oats
1/2 cup gluten-free oat flour
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1/4 cup firmly packed muscovado sugar
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup coconut oil (in solid form)
1/2 cup dried cranberries (sweetened with applejuice)
1/3 cup crushed almonds (you can buy or diy: put almonds in a bag and crush using a rolling pin)
Note: you can really add whatever ingredients you fancy – I’m looking forward to trying pumpkin seeds, raisins, walnuts, and dried cherries.
- In a large bowl combine oats, flour, cinnamon, crushed almonds and cranberries – set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan, on medium heat, combine coconut oil, honey, and sugar. Stir until melted and completely blended.
- Pour over dry mixture and stir gently.
- Let the wet mixture cover the dry mix until it forms little clusters.
- Grease two large baking sheets with coconut oil. Spread granola mixture evenly.
- Bake in the oven at 175 F for 1 hour.
- After the baking time is done, turn off the heat, let the granola sit for another 30 minutes in the oven.
- Pull out of the oven, it may still be warm, let cool completely before adding the dark chocolate chips (you can sprinkle them on top of spread out granola for even distribution or add into the storage container afterwards.)
- Transfer to air tight container for storing.
- Enjoy with your favorite milk (we had ours with unsweetened almond milk), over yogourt, or by itself! Yum
Editor at The Best of this Life
Emily Smith is the founder and editor of The Best of this Life. She has two littles, a darling husband, and dreams of owning a new puppy. A gluten-free connoisseur, social media maven and reigning fashionista (in her own rights). She loves writing and shares her three core values with her readers – love life, live well, share the beauty.
Latest posts by Emily Smith (see all)
- Accessorize Your Home with Pantone’s Spring 2015 Palette – January 29, 2015
- Delicious Vegan Gluten-Free Buckwheat Pancakes – January 27, 2015
- Cool Classroom Valentine’s Day Cards – January 26, 2015