For the salad dressing, I crushed a few of the basil leaves, mixed in virgin olive oil, and squeezed half a lime. It created a thick and fragrant dressing, that brought out the richness of the kale leaves.
kale: excellent source of antioxidant vitamins A, C, and K + 5 grams of fiber per cup
sesame seeds: a great source of calcium, magnesium, iron, and dietary fiber. It is said that they help to reduce inflammation in the body, and support respiratory health.
citrus fruits: the phytonutrients found in citrus fruit can lower your blood pressure and reduce your risk of heart disease, according to the World’s Healthiest Foods. (read more here)
Not a bad deal for a tasty salad!
Wishing you a happy and healthy Monday
Fresh Herbs & Citrus Salad
2 cups of kale, chopped
3 cups of green leaf lettuce, chopped
4 leaves of fresh pesto perpetuo
3 leaves of fresh basil
1/3 cup sesame seeds
1 grapefruit, peeled and sliced
Lime & Herbs Dressing
3 leaves of fresh basil, chopped
1/3 cup virgin olive oil
1/2 lime, juiced
- Wash and prepare kale, lettuce, herbs, and fruit.
- Place kale and lettuce in a large salad bowl. Add grapefruit and fresh herbs (tear into smaller pieces).
- For the dressing, place chopped basil in the bottom of the mortar, crush with the pestle, allowing for the juices to come out. Add olive oil and lime juice. Mix and drizzle over salad.
- Top with sesame seeds.
- Serve and enjoy!
Latest posts by Emily Smith (see all)
- Give Your Home Office a Pick-Me-Up with Staples.ca#MakeMoreMakeover – April 24, 2014
- Zutano Toddler Boy Looks for Summer – April 23, 2014
- Cooking Light Dinnertime Survival Guide + Cookbook Giveaway! – April 22, 2014