Summer is in full dress here; her bounty is as far as the eye can see. Aiden is relishing his playtime outside and the treats that the season brings – like cherries and popsicles! But one day this weekend, he wakes up from his afternoon nap and the first thing he tells me is, “Mama I want cookies please.” Cookies? Well, we don’t have any packaged cookies in the house Honey, and it’s 85 F so there’s no way we’re turning on that oven right now. Oh, but he’s much too sweet to dismiss, so what’s a Mom to do?
Shuffle into the kitchen and rummage through our supplies. Slim pickings since I haven’t quite been in the baking mood these days. However, with a little creativity, we came up with something I think you’ll like (we did!). There’s not many ingredients to worry about and the result is tasty and satisfies that sweet craving that kids and adults alike seem to generate in the afternoon.
Of course, I snuck in some chia seeds for good measure and for the right to refer to these as healthy bites, rather than just bites 😉 Mothers’ rights!
They have this delicious complexity that makes it difficult to only eat a couple! So may I suggest, serve the healthy peanut butter coconut bites in portion controlled servings and stick the rest in the fridge or freezer for later.
How was your weekend? Were there treats involved?
Hope you enjoy these! xo
- 1 cup of gluten-free oats
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup of chunky natural peanut butter
- 3 Tablespoons of raw honey
- 1 Tablespoon of chia seeds
- Place all ingredients in a food processor.
- Blend until smooth, cookie dough consistency (about 1-2 minutes on high).
- Roll into small balls and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Optional: sprinkle the top with more unsweetened shredded coconut
- Place the sheet in the freezer for 5-10 minutes or in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Enjoy your delicious bites!
- Store in an air tight container for up to 3 days in the fridge or freeze bites in a freezer bag.