The slow twirling motion of a cupcake by one hand, the steady application of lime frosting by the other. If that pleasure wasn’t enough, grating fresh lime zest on top was superfluous – in the best of ways. Piece by piece falling over fluffy icing flowers and exuding citrusy aroma. Little A. tugged at my leg with anticipation. He knew something good was happening at counter level, he knew one of life’s small gifts was about to be his.
To create these delightful cupcakes, I used Irresistibles gluten-free cake mix, adding fresh lemon juice and zest to the batter. For a tangy lime frosting; organic coconut oil, lime juice, and confectioner’s sugar. Together, the perfect blend of sweet and citrusy, making for a lovely dessert.
Gluten-Free Lemon Lime Cupcakes
1 Irresistibles Gluten-Free Cake Mix (or follow my recipe for gluten-free/dairy-free vanilla cupcakes)
2 Tablespoons of lemon juice
2 Tablespoons of lemon zest
1/2 cup of coconut oil, semi solidified (consistency of margarine)
3 cups of confectioner’s sugar
2 Tablespoons of lime juice
1 Tablespoon of lime zest
Extra lime zest for garnishing cupcakes
- Use gluten-free cake mix or recipe – follow directions and sub two tablespoons worth of liquid for lemon juice. Add lemon zest.
- Bake as per directions on mix box or in recipe.
- To make the Irresistibles Gluten-Free Cake Mix dairy-free as well, I used almond milk and coconut oil, instead of dairy products.
- Once cupcakes are prepared, let cool for 20 minutes and then place in the freezer for 15 minutes, just before icing.
- Prepare frosting in a medium mixing bowl.
- Place coconut oil, lime juice and lime zest.
- Add a cup of confectioner’s sugar, and whip on medium using a hand beater.
- Add another cup of sugar and blend. Repeat.
- Should you prefer a more structured icing, add more sugar – if you prefer a glaze, add more lime juice.
- Put frosting in icing bag and decorate cupcakes as you please 🙂
- Grate lime zest on top.