Double Chocolate Iced Coconut Cream (Gluten-Free / Dairy-Free)
Makes 8-10 Servings
4 (15 ounce) cans of coconut milk, full fat
1/3 cup of water
1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons of organic cocoa powder
1/2 cup of coconut sugar
3 Tablespoons of pure maple syrup
2 ripe bananas, mashed
3 Tablespoons of arrowroot starch
4 Cocoa Loco chewy bars by Enjoy Life, cut up in small chunks
- Open cans of coconut milk and drain the coconut water – set aside to use for baking or smoothies.
- In a large mixing bowl, transfer the thick coconut cream from the cans into the bowl.
- Whip the coconut cream, using a hand mixer (2-3 minutes).
- Add in 2 Tablespoons of cocoa powder and arrowroot starch. Whip for another 2 minutes, until smooth.
- Add in mashed bananas and maple syrup. Whip 1 more minute.
- Put the mixture in the fridge while you prepare the chocolate sauce.
- In a saucepan on medium-low heat, add water, coconut sugar, and cocoa powder. Stir continuously as the sauce begins to thicken. The sauce should become syrupy in 5-8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for 15 minutes. It should be thick and goopy (in a good way!)
- Take coconut mixture out of the fridge and transfer the chocolate sauce into it. Use a fork to create the swirls. Don’t over blend.
- Add in the Cocoa Loco chewy bars chunks and stir gently (as not to loose the swirl).
- Transfer mixture to a freezer safe container, lined with plastic wrap.
- Optional: I put the chocolate sauce pan back on the stove on low, added 1/4 cup of water and lifted the remainder of the sauce that had stuck to the pan. I let it cool for 5 minutes and drizzled it over the top.
- Cover with a top layer of plastic wrap (or freezer safe lid).
- Allow to freeze for 1 hour before serving.
- Should the the Iced Coconut Cream become too frozen for serving, let it sit on the counter for 15-20 minutes and serve when it’s soft again.
- Serve in gluten-free cones or an ice cream bowl. Enjoy!!