I made this cake on a rainy afternoon, but by the time the cake had finished baking, the sun was out once again. Perfect for enjoying a slice of this light and naturally sweet dessert – by the window, where one can daydream of all the Summer adventures still yet to come.
Strawberry Almond Cake (gluten-free & dairy-free)
Makes two 8-inch round cakes
Note: I only used one for my pictures, but you could put them on top of
each other and ice them for a traditional cake.
3 1/2 cups of almond meal (buy or grind whole almonds to a meal)
1 teaspoon of baking powder
6 large eggs
1/2 cup of virgin coconut oil
1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
1 cup of halved strawberries
1/4 cup of honey
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare two 8-inch round cake pans by greasing the bottoms and side with a little bit of coconut oil. Lined the bottom of each pan with a round piece of parchment paper, this helps to remove the cake easily from the pan after baking.
- In a large mixing bowl, place almond meal and baking powder, mix thoroughly.
- In a separate medium sized bowl, beat eggs until light and fluffy.
- Combine with dry mixture, along with virgin coconut oil, honey and vanilla.
- Add in halved strawberries.
- Stir cake mix well and then divide into the two cake pans.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 1 hour before removing from pans.
- Top with strawberry sauce and enjoy!
- Melt virgin coconut oil on low heat of a sauce pan. Add in strawberries and honey.
- If the strawberries are fresh, add in a Tablespoon or two of water as well.
- Let the strawberries simmer until they are warm and you can smell them cooking slightly.
- Remove, let cool for 5 minutes and pour over top of the cake or individual slices.
- This simple sauce over the cake makes it taste like strawberry shortcakes….so good!