My husband whipped together this giant, amazing caesar salad for me – which I just had to share with you. Once in a while, I get a craving for chicken caesar salad and he tossed up the perfect recipe. All natural bacon pieces, fresh romaine lettuce, delicious barbecued chicken, just a hint of grated parmesan and a pleasing addition of shelled edamame. Can you say yum?
All I had to do was squeeze the lemon and add a drizzle of dressing. That’s the kind of thing a pregnant lady can handle! After eating such a nutritious, protein packed lunch, I felt ready to take on the world… or at the very least, my wild and energetic toddler. He’s into racing trucks around the house, so you can see why I need all the energizing nutrients I can get.
Are you a fan of edamame?
Here’s what you’ll find in a half-cup serving of shelled edamame:
9 grams fiber
2.5 grams fat
1.5 grams polyunsaturated fat (0.3 grams plant omega-3 fatty acids)
0.5 gram monounsaturated fat
11 grams protein
13 grams carbohydrate
15 mg sodium
10% of the Daily Value for vitamin C
10% Daily Value for iron
8% Daily Value for vitamin A
4% Daily Value for calcium
Many people debate over the health benefits of soy, but I believe edamame is a nutritious legume and tossing a handful into salads is a great way to incorporate them into your diet.
Hope you enjoy this lighter version of chicken caesar salad and if you’re dairy-free, just skip the grated parmesan (and check out the dressing recipe).
- 1 small head romaine lettuce, cored, outer leaves discarded, and heart cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large grilled chicken breast, cooked ahead of time, chilled and sliced
- 4 Tablespoons of all-natural bacon pieces
- 2 Tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup of shelled edamame
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp organic Worcestershire
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (fresh squeezed)
- 3/4 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup Nutiva organic shelled hempseed
- Sea Salt (to taste)
- Ground black pepper (freshly ground, to taste)
- Prepare romaine lettuce and separate into two salad bowls
- Divide topping ingredients evenly
- (2 Tbsp bacon pieces, 2 Tbsp Parm, 1/4 edamame and split chicken slices into each bowl)
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor
- Process until smooth and creamy.
- Note: Dressing will keep in refrigerator for 3 to 4 days if stored in a covered container.
- Top the salad with dressing and serve with a slice of lemon on the side.
- Add fresh ground pepper to taste.
- Double up the ingredients to make this salad serve 4.