And just like that, my little boy turned three. Where does the time go? How I enjoy each and every day with my Little Mister – he is so precious to me and astounds me at every turn! For his 3rd birthday this year, we decided to do a small family party. His favourite thing these days are trucks and he particularly wanted a big dump drunk for his birthday. Mr. Smith and I thought that a ‘dump truck’ theme would be fun and would thrill our son to bits. Well, we were pretty bang on, because he flipped for each element that included a dump truck (see: birthday sign, birthday present, birthday cake!)
For the cake, I had asked Aiden what kind of cake he wanted for his special day and he replied, “ice cream.” I thought that was easy enough, so I made a layered ice cream cake and used glutino chocolate cookies as the base and ‘dirt’ topping. I also added plenty of mini reeses peanut butter cups (they are gluten-free, if you wanted to know), which were the ‘rocks’.
He loved it! Happy Birthday little Darling xo
To make the cake:
You will need…
2 packages of Glutino Vanilla Chocolate Cream Cookies
1.5 litres of chocolate ice cream (use coconut or soy to make dairy-free)
1.5 litres of vanilla ice cream (use coconut or soy to make dairy-free)
- Let the ice cream soften for 5-10 minutes on the counter, so that it is easier to spread with a spatula.
- Prep the chocolate cream cookies, by removing the centre icing (you can stir that into the vanilla ice cream if you want or discard) and crush the cookies in a secure zip lock bag, by rolling over them with a rolling pin.
- Create cookie crumbs base in the springform cake pan.
- Create a vanilla ice cream layer.
- Create a chocolate ice cream layer.
- Top with more cookie crumbs.
- Cover with aluminum foil and freeze until solid.
- When it’s time to serve, remove the ice cream cake from freezer and let stand for 3-5 minutes, before releasing the spring.
- Release the spring, for a perfect cake shape!
- Top with miniature dump truck, filled with remainder of cookie crumbs and reese’s minis peanut butter cups.
- Spread some cookie crumbs around the side of the cake as well.
Hope you had a fantastic weekend!
- Discover Alltrue: A Socially Conscious Subscription Box and Community - October 9, 2021
- Mindfulness in Children: How to Make It Part of Family Life - October 3, 2021
- How You Can Create A Calm Environment At Home To Help Your Family Thrive - August 3, 2021