Kid-Friendly Winter Fun
- Have a winter picnic. Yes, I’m for real. Make some hot cocoa, bake a batch of oatmeal cookies and take it to the icy cold park. You’ll probably only last 30 minutes, but that’s half an hour of fresh air and fun. To survive winter, you’ve got to get out and enjoy it…even in small doses!
- Make a favorite cartoon character snowman. Okay, so you’ve made Frosty – but have you made Franklin, Angelina Ballerina, or Turbo? Your little tyke will welcome the challenge.
- Ice skating. Find a local outdoor or indoor rink and get the kids to show you their best figure eights. If they don’t know how to skate, there’s no time like the present. Of course, its common knowledge that after a skating session, there’s always hot chocolate.
- Build a fort. When snow is just the right consistency, it makes for perfect fort-building material. Bundle them up and help them build their dream fort or ice castle. And if it’s just too cold outside, build one inside! Gather up blankets, pillows, and toys – use a comfy couch as the starting point and go from there. An afternoon of fun lies in wait!
- Nature walk. Not much planning needed for this winter activity. Dress warmly, find a nature trail and set the little guys loose. For added fun, have a list of items for them to try to spot on their walk; such as hopping bunnies, or a blue spruce.
It can be tough to get outside during the cold, cold winter (hello, it’s -15 celsius today!!) – but getting fresh air is so important for kids and adults alike; especially to keep your sanity and beat the winter blues. As soon as the temperature is reasonable, bundle up, and head outdoors – even if it’s only for a short while. Then, come back and enjoy hot cocoa…it only makes sense 😉
Have a great weekend friends!