After my holiday indulgences, I’m happily switching focus from Christmas cookies to nutrient dense Super Smoothies. January, for me, is a month to reboot and recharge. The weather is cold outside, so eating healthy foods is a must to beat the winter blues. Smoothies are a great way to make sure I get my daily fruit and vegetable intake – and they sure are a nice treat to sip on during long nursing sessions with Abigail. I find them both replenishing and hydrating for my body and they offer great immune boosting benefits, especially when you load them up with vitamin-rich fruits and super foods.
I made this smoothie the other day, based on a favourite from Booster Juice (a juice/smoothie chain in Canada). It’s called the Mango Hurricane Smoothie and it’s full of fruits, including mangos, peaches, passion fruit, guava, and strawberries! The combination is delicious and even though it’s blistering cold outside, I like to think I’m on a tropical island while I drink this yummy smoothie.
Health benefits of Mangoes
Mango fruit is an excellent source of Vitamin-A and flavonoids like beta-carotene, alpha-carotene, and beta-cryptoxanthin. 100 g of fresh fruit provides 765 mg or 25% of recommended daily levels of vitamin A. Together; these compounds are known to have antioxidant properties and are essential for vision. Vitamin A is also required for maintaining healthy mucus membranes and skin. Consumption of natural fruits rich in carotenes is known to protect the body from lung and oral cavity cancers.
It is also a very good source of vitamin-B6 (pyridoxine), vitamin-C and vitamin-E. Consumption of foods rich in vitamin C helps the body develop resistance against infectious agents and scavenge harmful oxygen-free radicals. (source)
- 1 cup frozen mangos,
- 1/2 cup frozen peaches
- 1/4 cup passion fruit nectar
- 1/4 cup guava nectar
- 1/2 cup frozen strawberries
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup of organic vanilla yogourt or vanilla cultured coconut milk(for dairy-free)
- Place all ingredients in the blender.
- Blend on high 2-4 minutes.
- Blend until smooth.
- Makes two large tumblers. If need be, add cold water to reach desired consistency.
- Serving Size: 2
- 21 Easy Meal Prep Ideas to Make the Best Kids Lunches - July 28, 2020
- 35 Fun Backyard Activities for Kids to Do This Summer - July 18, 2020
- Summertime Fun With the Primo Foldable Scooter - July 5, 2020