A decadent layered dessert that is rich in healthy fats and anti-oxidants (thank you, dark chocolate!)
- 2 ripe bananas, sliced
- 1 (14oz) can of full-fat organic coconut milk (to make coconut whipped cream)
- 1/3 cup of date caramel, prepared in advance
- Dark Chocolate Pudding, prepared in advance
- 2 Tablespoons of pure maple syrup
- 4 gluten-free/vegan vanilla or maple cookies, crumbled
- Dark chocolate shavings
Ingredients for the Dark Chocolate Pudding
- 1 (14 oz/400 g) can full-fat coconut milk (that was chilled overnight)
- 1/2 cup (40 g) unsweetened organic cocoa powder, sifted
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) pure maple syrup or coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon of espresso coffee
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Ingredients for the Date Caramel
- 1/3 cup of pitted, chopped dates,
- 1/3 cup of unsweetened almond milk,
- 1/2 tsp of pure organic vanilla extract
- a pinch of salt
Prepare the Dark Chocolate Pudding Layer
- Whisk together the coconut milk, cocoa powder, maple syrup, coffee, and salt in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, then turn the heat down and simmer 15 minutes, whisking frequently.
- Turn off heat and whisk in the vanilla.
- Cool to room temperature (whisking occasionally to help the pudding cool more evenly), then transfer to serving dishes (I used large glass mugs; parfait glasses would be perfect) – then cover with plastic wrap for a few hours, or over night.
Prepare the Date Caramel
- Put 1/3 cup of pitted, chopped dates, 1/3 cup of unsweetened almond milk, 1/2 tsp of pure organic vanilla extract and a pinch of salt into a blender, blend together until smooth. Pour into a saucepan and heat whilst stirring over a low flame for 5-10 minutes, until thickened. If there are any lumps remaining, blend again until smooth. Allow to cool before transferring to parfait.
Prepare the Coconut Whipped Cream
- Place can of coconut milk in refrigerator for at least 12 hours – aim for 24.
- When you open the can of coconut milk, you will find a thick layer of cream on top, scoop this out into a medium sized bowl. Take only the cream and leave the coconut water for a smoothie.
- Whip with a hand mixer on high for 1 minute.
- Optional: add in a pinch of cinnamon and a teaspoon of maple syrup (or natural vanilla extract, or a pinch of sugar…). Whip for another 3 minutes.
Assemble the Parfaits
- Beginning with the chocolate pudding base, next add a layer of crumbled cookies to each cup.
- Following with a layer of sliced bananas.
- Then a layer of date caramel.
- Then a layer of coconut whipped cream.
- And finally, top with more sliced bananas, a drizzle (1 Tbsp) of pure maple syrup and a few dark chocolate shavings.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- This recipe makes 2 large parfaits. It could make 4 small dessert bowls. I had extra date caramel sauce, so I used it in a smoothie.
- Serving Size: 2