Yesterday, we had a small Valentine’s Day get together. I know it’s not the love-day quite yet, but our schedule opened up to make it happen, so we did just that – made it happen. Valentine’s Day is as good as any excuse to celebrate the ones you love. I’m totally fine with that. I’m a big fan of love. We had a great afternoon, enjoying each other’s company, eating good food and staying out of the snow.
For the party, I made treat bags of dark chocolate swirl bark with cranberries and coconut. It’s an easy, delicious recipe to make; involving melting chocolate, swirling it around and topping it with some yummy additions. And there’s where you get creative! You can use pistachios, almond slivers, cacao nibs, raisins…just about anything you would like. I chose dried cranberries and unsweetened shredded coconut. The dark chocolate was very bitter (85%) so the sweetness came from the white chocolate that I used to create the swirl design.
I let the bark harden in the fridge overnight and cracked it in the morning. That’s one of my favourite parts about making bark – when I get to break it all up. After that small thrill, I filled up a few translucent favor bags and sealed them with these pretty ombre heart scalloped stickers (both from Minted). The finished treat bags were, in my opinion, super sweet. I’ll be sharing more party details with you later this week. Hope you had a fantastic weekend!
- 8 ounces dark chocolate
- 6 ounces white chocolate
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Using two double boilers, melt the dark chocolate in one and the while chocolate in the other.
- If you don't have a double boiler, you can use two glass bowls in a shallow pan of boiled water or the microwave ( I don't have one, so I don't know what length of time it would take to melt! Use caution!)
- Once the chocolate is melted, you can spread the dark chocolate onto thebaking sheet and smooth out into a large rectangle.
- Then, add the white chocolate by spoonfuls.
- Use the tip of a knife to swirl it around.
- Top it with cranberries and shredded coconut.
- Place in the fridge to cool overnight (or until the chocolate is hard and can be broken into pieces)
- Break up into pieces to serve or place in your favor bags.
- This recipe made enough to fill 4 treat bags, nicely (with about 3-4 large pieces of bark each). On a serving platter, it would serve 4-6 guests.