Valentine’s day is definitely considered a chocolate holiday – but if your Valentine isn’t into sweets, there are many other food options to treat them with. How about raspberry lemon muffins, or heart-shaped pancakes? Or, this pink-hued smoothie, perhaps? Sure it’s healthy, but that doesn’t discount its natural sweet flavour and milkshake texture (without the ice cream and added sugar of course). It’s a true love potion for the heart; tastes delicious and has effects on the body…great effects!
As relayed in this article, on the benefits of chia seeds, the Cleveland Clinic found that chia seeds have been shown to improve blood pressure in diabetics, and may also lower total, LDL, and triglyceride cholesterol, and raise good HDL cholesterol. That’s good news folks.
And the benefits of chia seeds doesn’t stop there! Here are five more reasons to add them to your smoothies and your diet in general.
5 More Reasons to Add Chia Seeds to Your Diet
- Fiber: An excellent source of fiber, chia seeds provide 10 grams in only 2 tablespoons
- Antioxidants: Chia seeds are rich in antioxidants that help protect the body from free radicals, aging and cancer
- Blood Sugar Regulation: Shown reduce insulin resistance and decrease abnormally high levels of insulin in the blood.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids: The omega-3s in chia seeds can help reduce inflammation
- Calcium: A serving of chia seeds has 18 per cent of the recommended daily intake for calcium
A creamy, nutritious dessert-like smoothie.
- 8 frozen strawberries
- 1 cup of vanilla almond milk (or choice milk)
- 2 Tbsp of ground chia seeds
- 1 tsp of pure vanilla extract
- 6 ice cubes
- Combine strawberries, almond milk, chia seeds, vanilla and ice. Blend until smooth. Pour into two large glasses and serve. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 2
Have you tried chia seeds? Are they something that you already eat? This yummy smoothie is a great example of how easy they are to sneak into your regular eating habits. You can also try them as an egg replacer, or to make pudding. Enjoy!
- Finding Joy and Confidence While Living With Chronic Pain - November 23, 2020
- 100 Festive Things to Do At Home in December - November 21, 2020
- Do You Declutter Your Home Before Decorating for the Holidays? - November 19, 2020