It’s that time of year when the golden arch features a limited edition whipped beverage that sends mint lovers everywhere into a frenzy. Who can blame them? I remember this commercial – it even made me want one! I’ve never actually tried it, but I did want to make one for my little guy (and for myself, who am I kidding!). A few ideas came to mind to create my own and I also visited pinterest to find some inspiration. If you search ”healthy shamrock shake” – you’ll find a ton of takes on this popular seasonal drink.
I personally found three recipes that inspired my own creation:
Healthy Shamrock Shake by Health Starts in the Kitchen
Healthy Shamrock Shake by An Edible Mosaic
Skinnyer Shamrock Shake by Skinnytaste
A few of the healthy recipes called for spinach, but I had already planned on using avocado to obtain the green colour naturally. I’ve made tons of smoothies with avocado and it gives them a delicious creamy texture. One of my favourites is my healthy chocolate smoothie, because of the avocado, it tastes like a rich chocolate milkshake. Adding avocado to this copy-cat shake did exactly the trick I wanted it too. Its thick consistency is ideal this incredibly yummy treat. Of course, to keep it looking as close to the real deal as possible(except for the high fructose and fluorescent factor), I added some whipped cream (coconut) and a topped it off with a gorgeous strawberry. Can’t beat that! My Little man gulped his down. I mean, he couldn’t drink it fast enough and then he came after mine! It’s that tasty. Enjoy friends!!
Benefits of Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint wakens the senses and can increase the oxygen level in the blood just by being inhaled. One drop of peppermint oil is equivalent to 28 cups of herbal tea. It helps with focus, and when combined with rosemary, which helps with memory and retention, makes a winning work day combination. Peppermint also can calm a troubled tummy and bring down fever. (source)
- 1 banana
- 1 avocado
- 2 cups of light coconut milk
- 4 drops (or more) of peppermint essential oil
- 4 drops of organic liquid stevia
- 1 cup of ice
- Mint Coconut Whipped Cream
- Strawberries and Dark Chocolate Shavings for garnish
- Peel banana. Peel and cut avocado.
- Place all ingredients in a blender.
- Blend on high for 2 minutes until smooth.
- Top with coconut whipped cream, dark chocolate shavings and strawberries.
- Serve right away and enjoy!
- Makes 1 cup
- 1 15 ounce can of coconut milk, full fat
- 3-4 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 2 drops of organic liquid stevia
- Place can of coconut milk in refrigerator for at least 12 hours – aim for 24.
- When you open the can of coconut milk, you will find a thick layer of cream on top, scoop this out into a medium sized bowl. Take only the cream and leave the coconut water for another smoothie.
- Whip with a hand mixer on high for 1 minute.
- Add in peppermint and stevia.
- Whip for another 3 minutes.
- Add 4-6 drops of peppermint essential oil to the shake to begin with, taste test and add more if you desire a mintier taste. Begin with a small amount, as the strength of the essential oil can vary from brands. Same goes with the liquid stevia - should you desire a sweeter taste.