Let’s start at the beginning. The time when I didn’t ever like pasta salad. I would see it at summer picnics and BBQS and a slow cringe would creep up on me. It was thick, mayonaisey (it could be a word!) and all around unappealing. I liked my pasta hot and with red wine, thank you very much.
But then this thing happened, a couple of years ago – I tried a cold pasta salad made with lots of fresh vegetables and olive oil dressing. It was good. It was really good. It changed everything. Now, I enjoy lots of varieties of summer pasta salads with a variation of veggies and olive oil based dressings. My mom made this recipe and I thought it was delicious. The addition of Deviled Eggs made it over the top and I thought it would be the perfect side to spicy BBQ.
A fresh summer salad that works as an entree or the perfect BBQ side dish.
- 4 cups cooked gluten-free penne al dente
- ¼ cup finely chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped onion
- ½ cup feta cheese coarsely crumbled
- 1 pint cherry tomato cut in halves
- ¼ cup Moroccan spicy black olives pitted and chopped coarsely
- ¼ cup olive oil with 1 tsp maple syrup
- salt and pepper
- 4 prepared Deviled Eggs (see instructions)
- Prepare the gluten-free pasta according to directions on box.
- Prepare all other ingredients.
- Allow the pasta to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, mix all ingredients with oil and maple syrup.
- Add in pasta and coat well (add a little bit more olive oil if need be, so it’s well covered).
- Refrigerate overnight to allow for the flavours to come out fully.
To make Deviled Eggs you will need
- 4 Eggs
- 1 Teaspoon Vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon Oil
- 1/2 Teaspoon Mustard
- pinch of Salt
- pinch of Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Paprika
- 1/4 Teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Place 4 eggs in a pot, fill with water about 1 inch above the top of the eggs.
- Cover the pot and bring the water to a boil.
- Remove the pot from the stove and let sit for 15 minutes to complete the boiling process and harden the yolk centres.
- Run cold water into the pot or remove eggs and place into an ice bath. Allow the hard-boiled eggs to sit for 5 minutes until cold.
- Peel the egg shells. Be careful to not damage the egg whites.
- Cut the eggs in half, lengthwise.
- Gently apply pressure to the edges, squeeze the egg yolk centres out. You can also use a spoon to scoop out the yolks. Place the egg yolks into a mixing bowl and the egg white halves onto your serving plate.
- Mix in your ingredients – vinegar, oil, mustard, salt and pepper, sugar, and Worcestershire sauce – into the bowl with the egg yolks.
- Blend until smooth, adding more spices according to your preference.
- Using a spoon spread the filling into the egg white halves.
- Sprinkle paprika on top.
- Serve on top of pasta salad.
- Prep Time: 20
- Serving Size: 4
So how about you? Do you like cold pasta salad? Do you have a favourite recipe that you make for picnics and potlucks? Do share!
- How To Throw An Easy Backyard Party – and Earn Aeroplan Points Too! - August 8, 2022
- Why Backyard Gardening Is Easy With Raised Garden Bed Planters - July 21, 2022
- How to Take Care of Your Skin Every Day This Summer - July 13, 2022