We are big fans of rice in our house. I personally like the brown rice mixed with wild rice, but I’ve got to tell you that the boys are crazy for basmati rice. It’s like white rice, but with more flavour. I was excited to learn about the new variations from Minute Rice® which are easy to prepare and add as a side to any healthy meal.
Minute Rice® Aromatic Rice is a new, authentic premium rice, imported from Thailand and India, that adds international flair and adventure to meal time. Available in two varieties – Minute Rice® Basmati Rice and Minute Rice® Jasmine Rice – it enables even inexperienced chefs to create mouthwatering aromatic rice to perfection in minutes.
Minute Rice® Basmati Rice – known as the “prince of rice” due to its superior fragrance – is an aromatic, long-grain rice with a subtle nutty flavour grown in the foothills of the Himalayas. Minute Rice® Jasmine Rice – with a perfume-like scent of a Southeast Asian-grown jasmine flower, released during the cooking process – is a naturally aromatic rice from the high plateaus of Thailand.
The benefits? “It’s simple, convenient and quick to prepare, yet is an exotic rice that tastes delicious and is perfect every time,” said Doyle Brown, Minute Rice® Senior Brand Manager. “Global products such as basmati and jasmine rice are growing in popularity, but generally take time to prepare. Minute Rice takes the time and skill out of preparing exotic rice recipes and side dishes, giving people more time to focus on other things.”
This Pumpkin Rice Pilaf recipe is so delicious! I prepared it for dinner last night and served it as a side for spiced chicken and grilled zucchini. It was delicious and well enjoyed! Cooking time is only 10 minutes and each pouch of rice serves four people (as a side).
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) canola oil
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 2 pouches (125 g each) Minute Rice Jasmine Rice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) chili powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground allspice
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 2 cup (500 mL) low sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) pumpkin purée
- 2 cups (500 mL) baby spinach
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) pumpkin seeds, toasted
- Step 1: Remove rice from pre-portioned pouch; set aside. Melt butter in reserved skillet set over medium-low heat. Add onion, thyme, chili powder, allspice, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until onion softens. Add broth and pumpkin purée; bring to a boil. Add rice.
- Step 2: Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in baby spinach. Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork. Garnish with pumpkin seeds.
- Tip: To toast pumpkin seeds, cook in a dry skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes.
I’m excited that Minute Rice® is generously offering one lucky reader of The Best of this Life a BIG supply (that’s 36 boxes!!) of the new Minute Rice® Aromatic Rice! Just in time for all the holiday entertaining, isn’t that awesome? Enter in the rafflecopter widget below and good luck!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Access – and share – discount coupons for Minute Rice®Aromatic Rice here. Coupons are available while quantities last, so please act quickly!
Minute Rice® Aromatic Rice retails for $3.99 as is available at major retailers nationally.[line]
*The Best of this Life is part of the Minute Rice® Aromatic Rice Campaign and as such received samples to participate in the holiday fun! All opinions are my own.