My goal this year: Eat more beets! Admittedly, they aren’t my favourite root vegetable, but they do pack a mean punch when it comes to nutritional value, detox effects, and energy-boosting qualities. Drinking beet juice, or in this case, beet smoothie prior to exercising gives you up to 16% more stamina. According to this study, it is believed that the nitrates in beets turn into nitric oxide, which may reduce the oxygen cost of low-intensity exercise as well as enhance tolerance to high-intensity exercise. The result? More energy!
Beets are also an excellent vegetable to add to your detox efforts.
The betalin pigments in beets support your body’s Phase 2 detoxification process, which is when broken down toxins are bound to other molecules so they can be excreted from your body. Traditionally, beets are valued for their support in detoxification and helping to purify your blood and your liver. (source)
Beets have a bit of an earthy taste, in my opinion – so I prefer to use something sweet, like apples and berries, to cut through the taste. Also, a squeeze of lemon helps too.
I find this smoothie very refreshing, energizing, and revitalizing. It’s like a shot of caffeine for the body – without the jitters! Plus, all the detox benefits of beets, lemons, and strawberries (which are full of vitamin C that helps clean the body).
A delicious blend of beet, apple, and strawberries with a touch of lemon juice. For a vibrant smoothie that packs a healthy dose of Vitamin C
- 1 beet (steamed then chilled, and quarted)
- 1 apple (quarted)
- 1/2 cup frozen strawberries
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 6 ice cubes
- 1/2 cup ice cold filted water ((add more water if necessary))
- Place all ingredients into the blender.
- Blend for 1-2 minutes until smooth.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American
More Delicious Smoothies:
- Pomegranate Strawberry Coconut Smoothie
- Berry Banana Popeye Smoothie
- Mango Hurricane Smoothie
- How to Make Vegan Frozen Banana Custard
- Is Your Social Media Feed Affecting Your Self-Esteem? - January 12, 2021
- How to Start Saving for Your Dreams - January 11, 2021
- I See You: Why Beauty Diversity in the Media Matters - January 5, 2021