Let’s try something new, shall we? The smoothie bowl. I’ve made a few before, but mostly as ”banana ice cream”. Since we are doing the January Smoothie Challenge and having at least one smoothie a day – mostly as a meal replacement – I wanted to give smoothie bowls a try!
What is a smoothie bowl?
A smoothie bowl is essentially just a different way to enjoy your smoothie, sans straw. You create a delicious thick smoothie base and add hearty toppings, such as granola, hemp hearts, coconut flakes, dates, raisins, more fruit…etc. It makes for a wonderful meal replacement and it really is enjoyable to eat with a spoon.
For today’s smoothie bowl, I made two parts green smoothie to one part mango smoothie, then layered it with medjool dates, cashews, unsweetened shredded coconut and fresh strawberries. It was seriously yummy and satisfying!
- 1 cup of frozen spinach
- 1/2 cup of fresh orange juice
- 1 cup of frozen green melon
- 1/2 cup frozen peaches
- 3 ice cubes
- 1/2 cup of frozen mangoes
- 4 frozen or fresh strawberries
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon of virgin coconut oil
- 4-5 medjool dates
- 3-4 teaspoons of cashews
- 2 fresh strawberries, sliced
- Place all ingredients for the Melon Smoothie in the blender. Blend until smooth. Pour equal parts into 2 large bowls.
- Rinse blender (optional).
- Place all ingredients for the Mango Smoothie in the blender. Blend until smooth. Pour equal parts into the 2 bowls - starting from the side and slowly layering, to create a "split" smoothie bowl.
- Layer with toppings and enjoy!
- Other toppings to try: goji berries, ground flax seeds, hemp hearts, almond butter, vanilla pea protein, coconut flakes, cacao nibs
- Pomegranate Strawberry Coconut Smoothie
- Berry Banana Popeye Smoothie
- Mango Hurricane Smoothie
- How to Make Vegan Frozen Banana Custard