Happy St-Patrick’s Day! Hope you are having a fun day. Around here, we are turning foods green, giving our part-Irish kids lots of kisses and having a cupcake party. Little A. sure loves this day, he always gets lots of handshakes and high fives – dressed in green, wearing St-Patty’s buttons and attracting more attention because of his ginger hair. The green cupcakes were his idea and now that they are cooled and iced, he’s ready to dig in!
It’s up to you whether to use traditional buttercream icing or sub the butter for virgin coconut oil. At the right temperature, virgin coconut oil has the same consistency as butter and works equally well. Mixed with icing sugar, vanilla extract, and a few drops of green food dye (or matcha green powder) and you’ve got a perfectly delicious green icing to top these sweet, classic vanilla gluten-free cupcakes.
Scrumptious vanilla cupcakes get a green makeover for St-Patty’s Day!
- 1/4 cup of virgin coconut oil (or butter)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or regular sugar)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup of brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup of white rice flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened almond or coconut milk
- 15 drops of green food colouring or 2 teaspoons matcha green powder
Coconut oil buttercream
- Makes about 2 cups (lots of icing!)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 4–6 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or coconut extract
- pinch salt
- 10 drops of green food colouring
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line 12-section muffin pan with paper liners;
- In a mixing bowl, combine virgin coconut oil (at creamy consistency) and sugar and beat until smooth sugar begins to dissolve a bit.
- Add eggs and vanilla; stir until mixture is uniform.
- In a separate bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add half of flour mixture to sugar mixture; stir.
- Pour in milk; stir, then add remaining flour and stir until batter is smooth.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins.
- Bake 15 minutes, just until cupcakes rise and turn light golden brown on top.
- Remove from oven to cool, then frost as desired.
- How To Throw An Easy Backyard Party – and Earn Aeroplan Points Too! - August 8, 2022
- Why Backyard Gardening Is Easy With Raised Garden Bed Planters - July 21, 2022
- How to Take Care of Your Skin Every Day This Summer - July 13, 2022