The long weekend is here for us! We’re looking forward to spending time as a family, celebrating Easter and The Resurrection, and creating a fun egg hunt for the kids. Although we don’t really have a tradition when it comes to the Easter Bunny, because we focus more on the Christian Holiday – we do give the children an Easter basket with some toys and a few treats.
Mainly, we’ll have a big Easter dinner on Sunday – which we’re all excited about.
Do you celebrate Easter? What are your traditions?
I made these delicious cookies earlier this week, before I started my 3-Day Juicing Cleanse (on Day 2 now and going strong…Easter dinner will taste amazing!). They really are a healthier trail mix cookie with the added cheat treat, also known as Smarties! I saw them at Bulk Barn and couldn’t resist purchasing a handful to add into the cookies to brighten them up and make them Easter Trail Mix Cookies. My son was very excited about them and didn’t mind the sugary upgrade at all!
These are so great as a healthier alternative to chocolate and extreme sweets this weekend. I’ll be making them again for Aiden, because he was so happy about them…maybe the Easter Bunny will come to visit after all and leave a few of these in his basket.
These gluten-free trail mix cookies are tasty on their own and really good for dipping in a cold glass of milk (we love coconut milk, for its extra richness).
Let us know what you think of them, and also – I’d love to know how your family celebrates this weekend (if you do).
Bunny Trail Mix Cookies
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/4 cup quinoa flakes
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 large egg OR flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flax + 2 tablespoons water, mixed together)
- 1/2 cup virgin coconut oil
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4-1/2 cup Easter Smarties (or other Easter Candy, if desired)
- Preheat oven to 350F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all of the dry ingredients. In another medium sized bowl, stir together the wet ingredients, including the egg until thoroughly combined.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir well until combined.
- Scoop out dough balls with a Tablespoon onto the baking sheet, spacing them a couple inches apart. Bake cookies for 13-15 minutes until light golden brown on the bottom. Cool completely before transferring to serve or store.
- Cookies are fragile! Cool completely before moving.
- Leave out the candy for a healthy Trail Mix cookie.
- SMARTIES don’t contain any gluten but it’s not certified gluten–free. If you have Celiac Disease please consider substituting with gluten-free certified chocolate.