Lemon loaf reminds me of my mom baking for church potlucks or friends coming over for coffee. It has that homemade-with-love quality about it that’s hard to resist. If you are careful with the ingredients and skip the overdose of sugar that’s in most recipes, you can enjoy a slice for breakfast instead of just as a treat. But don’t get me wrong – it is a treat.
I like just enough poppy seeds in my loaf to get a taste, not so that they are all stuck in my teeth! That’s a personal preference, so feel free to add more than the recipe calls for (or none at all, if you don’t like them). This loaf is full of lemony goodness that is wonderful to enjoy with raspberry lemonade or a cup of dark roast coffee.
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose gluten-free flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 6 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 medium-size lemon (about 3 tablespoons juice)
- 1/2 cup of turbinao sugar
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil (in creamy form)
- 3/4 cup of coconut milk full-fat, just using the rich creamy part of the can (save the coconut water for smoothies)
- 2 eggs at room temperature, beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease a standard 9-inch x 5-inch loaf pan and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, place the flour, xanthan gum, tapioca flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and poppy seeds, and whisk to combine well. Add the lemon zest, and whisk to combine, breaking up any lumps. Add the sugar, and whisk again to combine. Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the coconut oil, coconut milk, eggs, vanilla and lemon juice, mixing to combine after each addition.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared loaf pan, and spread into an even layer with a wet spatula. For a more even loaf, with a wet, very sharp knife, slash the loaf down the center about 1/4-inch deep. Place in the center of the preheated oven and bake for 30-40 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 325°F and continue to bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean and the top is lightly golden brown (another 10 to 20 minutes). Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Slice thickly and serve.