Your bedroom hasn’t changed for quite a while, and you’re worn out by it. After all these years, you could say the décor has become rather tired. You could say you’re ready to call “lights out” on this yawn-worthy decorating. Or that it’s time to put to bed these old styles and move onto to something new.
You could say of all this, if you had a lame sense of humor like we do. But also if, well, your bedroom really does need some redecorating. If that’s you, you’re in luck because aside from being masters at puns, we’re also pretty good at bedroom decorating tips.
If that sounds like something you want to know more about (and if you’re willing to suffer through more puns), then read on.
- Artwork. You might be surprised how many bedrooms feature bare walls. Or maybe you won’t be surprised. Maybe you stare at such walls every night while trying to fall asleep. Well, there’s nothing stopping you from covering those walls with some carefully chosen artwork. And no, artwork doesn’t have to cost an arm or leg. Remember, it’s not about having a big name artist on your wall but about creating an atmosphere you enjoy. Between Ikea, Home Goods, and others stores like them, you should be able to find something tasteful and affordable.
- New lamps. Lights make a big difference in any room. Finding some end table lamps that match your current style will go a long way towards giving your bedroom a fresh look. Want to shake things up even more? Consider installing wall mounted lamps. Striking and functional, they’re a great way to redecorate.
- Go modern. Everywhere you look, modern design and products are infiltrating otherwise traditional homes. This blending of styles, once considered a big no-no, has now found its way into mainstream decorating. So, why not grab a few modern decorating accoutrements and go to town.
- Pillows. This one can be divisive, by which we mean women love to decorate with them and men complain about having to wade through so many of them just to get under the covers. And yes, we can admit it: there is such a thing as going overboard with decorative pillows, but that’s no reason to avoid them altogether. So, find pillows in different sizes and shapes, match them to your room’s colors, and arrange them on the bed.
- Color. Don’t forget it. Some women so love their soft, neutral colors they forget to balance them against some pops of color. Forget the color and the room can feel washed out and lacking in any grounding contrasts or focal points. Throw in some carefully chosen and placed colors and suddenly the neutral colors take on more power for having a contrast.
- Rugs. It doesn’t matter whether you have wood flooring or carpet in your bedroom, a well-chosen rug can really tie the room together. Of course, this means finding a color or pattern (or both) that matches the other stylistic elements in the room. Also, rugs offer the best ways to bring in those pops of color we mentioned above.
- Don’t forget your personal style. We realize this seems like stating the obvious, but you’d be surprised how often women decorate based on what’s in, regardless of whether or not they like it. All decorating should be about creating an atmosphere that brings you joy, NOT one that impresses the neighbors. So, with that in mind, take some time to discover what you really like, what truly brings you joy, and then run with it, trends be damned.
There you have it. Seven of our best decorating ideas for your bedroom. Put some or all of these into place, and we feel confident your new bedroom will be so inspiring you won’t ever want to leave.