I hope you still have peaches left in your fruit basket to make this delicious summer treat. I wanted to share the recipe with you last week, but things got pretty busy around here and I didn’t get a chance to. But, today’s as good as any to show you how you too can make this mouthwatering dessert. Clafoutis is a tart that is made with fruit, often cherries, baked in a lightly sweetened batter. You can easily make this recipe gluten-free, since it requires so little flour. I used almond meal to make a crust and to replace the flour in the batter, which is poured over the peaches. You barely need to sweeten the mix, since it is full of naturally sweet fruit – a light amount of brown sugar does the trick!
You can really taste and enjoy the flavour of almonds in this clafoutis, which I love about it. From the crust to the sprinkle toasted almonds that garnish the top, they complement the juicy golden peaches to near perfection. Each bite is full of the bounty of summer and the subtleties of the season, from its sweetness to its lightweight texture.
My mother brought this recipe back from a friend of hers in France. It’s not uncommon to have several clafoutis of different variations show up at family and friends gatherings, from after church luncheons to summer picnics. With all the gorgeous fruit trees that grow in France, particularly the south, it’s an ideal dessert to whip up using the harvest.
You can try this recipe using apricots, cherries, or raspberries as well. Enjoy!Print
A beautiful summer dessert where fruit is the centre of attention complemented by an almond crust.
- 5 Tablespoons butter or coconut oil, melted
- 1 1/2 cups almond meal
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 – 5 peaches, sliced
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Grease a 10 inch pie or tart dish
- In a medium bowl, mix together almond meal and melted butter. Pat into the pie dish. Bake for 12 minutes. Remove and cool.
- Beat the eggs and sugar together on high speed until the yolks begin to lighten in color and the mixture is light and frothy. Add the milk, vanilla and salt and beat on low speed until evenly mixed. Delicately fold in the flour until well combined.
- Wash & slice your peaches into thin slivers. Scatter a thin layer of peaches in the bottom of the pie or tart dish. Fill the dish evenly with clafoutis batter.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until clafoutis is set and golden.
- Remove from over, sprinkle slivered almonds on top.
- Serve warm.
- How To Throw An Easy Backyard Party – and Earn Aeroplan Points Too! - August 8, 2022
- Why Backyard Gardening Is Easy With Raised Garden Bed Planters - July 21, 2022
- How to Take Care of Your Skin Every Day This Summer - July 13, 2022