Who doesn’t love delicious baked goods? Even better when they are healthy and lightened up! I’m going through some of our favourite fall recipes to start baking for Aiden’s school lunches and after-school snacks. He particularly loves fresh baking and always asks for it – from muffins to loafs and everything in between.
So when my mom showed up with this healthy gluten-free zucchini snacking cake, his whole afternoon was made. And so was I, considering it tasted scrumptious and was a perfect seasonal recipe to add to our baking rotation. What made it even more delectable was the blend of spices that she used that really popped the flavour.
Together, cinnamon, ginger, clove, nutmeg, and chili, all add this incredible warmth to the cake which makes it an ideal treat for the cooler fall weather. It’s also a wholesome snack made with zucchini, oatmeal, and brown rice flour.
You can bake this snacking cake in a round spring pan or a square pan, both work – and you could even wrap individual slices up to send to school or have ready for a week’s worth of after-school snacks. The truth is, my 4 year old just won’t touch zucchini in his dinner plate, but devours a slice of this cake and that makes me feel a little bit better in the parenting department!Print
A healthy treat that is perfect to make the most of zucchini season!
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup of oil (melted virgin coconut or other)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda and salt
- 1tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. each of nutmeg, allspice, ginger, chili.
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup gluten free all-purpose (that includes xanthan gum)
- 2 cups of grated zucchini
Filling for center
- 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1 well rounded tsp. cinnamon.
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Prepare a 9 inch round spring pan by greasing it and placing a round piece of wax paper on the bottom (or alternatively a square pan)
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine all wet ingredients. In a large mixing bowl, sift flour and combine with oats, spices, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Slowly add in wet mixture to dry.
- Add in grated zucchini and stir gently, until well combined.
- Pour half of the batter into the pan, sprinkle with filling for center, then gently add remaining batter one spoonful at a time gently spreading over sugar/cinnamon mix and place in the oven to bake for 35 minutes or until middle comes out clean with knife.
- Cook Time: 35
- Serving Size: 8
More Snacking Recipes To Love:
- Old Fashioned Oatmeal Cake (gluten-free)
- Gluten-Free Blueberry Breakfast Cake
- Gluten-Free Spiced Zucchini Bread
- Easy and Delicious Whole Grain Stuffing With Sage for Thanksgiving - October 6, 2022
- How To Throw An Easy Backyard Party – and Earn Aeroplan Points Too! - August 8, 2022
- Why Backyard Gardening Is Easy With Raised Garden Bed Planters - July 21, 2022