- 1 pound dates (500g)
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of Bob’s Red Mill sweet white rice flour
- 2 cup quick cooking oats
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp b. soda
- 1 tsp b. powder
- 1 cup soft almost melted Tenderflake shortening
- Cook dates on low for 7 to 10 minutes watching closely and stirring often. Let cool for 15 minutes.
- Mix salt and soda (no lumps) flour, oats, brown sugar really well. Gradually add shortening and work with a wooden spoon creating a crumble with small to medium pea size lumps.
- Spread half the crumble in the bottom of a lightly greased 11” x 9” pan. Starting in one corner of the pan very gently spoon the date mixture on top evenly. Next add the remaining crumble mixture one tablespoon at a time gently covering the dates.
- Bake at 325 F for 25-30 minutes. Let cool completely before cutting in square.