I like to eat, a lot and in addition to this I have a weekly fitness routine that is pretty gruelling from multiple weighted backpack walks to heavy lifting sessions at the gym. So it is not surprising that food plays an important role in my life. Years ago, while I was briefly training with a few strongmen (the sport of lifting stones, logs and other heavy stuff) one piece advice that they gave me was to eat before you came to do your workout, during your workout and after your workout to help fuel your body for the aggressive exercises. Nowadays, that might be a little excessive for me, but I often still have a quick snack before I workout and generally eat a meal after I lift weights.
When it comes to choosing a healthy pre or post workout snack/meal I can be picky because I strongly believe that what you put into your body can help you have a great workout and can also help you recover from that workout. In addition to this I don’t often choose processed foods (rule of thumb, anything that has been prepared or packaged before hand by someone else) because from my experience they don’t have the same beneficial capacity in aiding towards my workout and recovery (this is just my opinion) but that being said, I always try to be open-minded and when Krave asked if we wanted to try some of their gourmet beef and pork Jerky, I was more than happy to oblige.
Before I share my appraisal of Krave’s gourmet jerky, I should say from the get go that being from the South and being raised in the mountains of Tennessee, I have a strong predisposition towards all kinds of meat jerky and it is generally treated as an exception to the no processed foods rule I have for the gym. However, not all meat jerky is the same and I am not sure if there is a lot of commercially available meat jerky that is that good for you (even though it might be tasty). Growing up with the availability of homemade meat jerky I tend to have a fairly high standard and I am happy to say that Krave has made a very good meat Jerky. Here are some of the things I like the most about their beef and pork jerky:
- It tastes really good, I tried the: Grilled Sweet Teriyaki (pork), Sweet Chipotle (beef), Black Cherry Barbecue (pork) and Chili Lime (beef). Even though I liked the Black Cherry Barbecue the best, every one of Krave’s jerky I tried was very good!
- I recognized everything that was in their relatively short ingredients list. This is a big thing for me, because I like to know what I am eating and looking at Krave jerky’s ingredient list you can tell right away that this is a jerky made for an individual with health-conscious snacking in mind.
- Lastly, Krave jerky has a high protein to low-calorie ratio, which means it is right up there with other foods that I try to consume specifically because of the physical activities I pursue.
Honestly, after trying Krave I have no problem recommending it as an on the go or gym snack, if you are like me and try to shy away from more processed foods then this is a meat jerky that I think you will enjoy!
KRAVE Gourmet Jerky is available across Canada at Shoppers Drug Mart, Loblaws, Sobeys and London Drugs and retails from $7.49 - $8.99.
Latest posts by David Smith (see all)
- Making Memories with Purdys Easter Chocolates - April 18, 2019
- I Tested The Ridge Gear and This Is Why It’s Awesome - June 5, 2018
- 25+ Fun Spring Activities for Kids and Grown Ups Too! - April 19, 2018