If you like mushrooms, then you’re going to love today’s round up of delicious recipes. I’m sharing my creamy, comforting vegan mushroom risotto along with a bunch of tasty meals from The Foodie Mamas! Be sure to keep on scrollin’ to see what everyone’s been cooking this month and for the links to their recipes.
April has started off as a damp, cold month. It’s been grey skies, snow and rain. Sheesh! Can’t a girl get some sunshine around here?
There’s nothing like a hot bowl of something to warm your bones and shake the dampness off, and risotto fits the bill. A lot of people think that risotto is rich with cream and cheese – but there are so many different ways to make it, you don’t even have to use dairy at all. Today’s recipe is lightened up, uses vegetable broth, and a small amount of cashew milk for that creamy texture. It’s full of flavour, with the mushrooms taking centre stage.
I used baby portobello mushrooms, which you can find pre-washed and sliced at the market, because I am fond of their taste. You can really use whichever mushrooms you’d like!
The secret to delicious risotto is time. Taking the time to pour broth over the rice, letting it simmer and absorb, then stirring and repeating (about 3 times) over the course of it cooking will allow the dish to cook evenly and ultimately reach a perfect consistency.
Creamy, savoury mushroom risotto made with vegetable broth and cashew milk.
- 2 cups of arborio rice
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 package of sliced baby portobello mushrooms (around 250g)
- 1/2 cup of water
- 6 cups of vegetable broth
- 4 Tbsp cashew milk
- salt & pepper
- fresh herbs or parsley as garnish – I used terragon
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat and salute the onions for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the mushrooms and 1/2 cup of water. Simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the rice. Add half the vegetable, keeping the other half to pour in over the cooking time.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add in 1 1/2 cups of vegetable broth, stir well and cover for 10 minutes.
- Add the remaining vegetable broth, stir well and let simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
- Once the rice has absorbed the liquid, and reached a slightly sticky consistency remove the pot from the stove top. Stir in the cashew milk and sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Let stand for 3-5 minutes (as the rice absorbs the cashew milk) and then serve with garnish.
- If you have no dairy restrictions, freshly grated Parmesan cheese is very complimentary to this dish.
- Serving Size: 6
6 MORE TASTY MUSHROOM RECIPES TO ENJOY FROM THE #FOODIEMAMAS
Miso Mushroom Ramen from Lucy Baker Brandes of Turnip the Oven
Mushroom Fried Rice by Deepika Haldankar of EasyBabyMeals
Chorizo & Manchego Stuffed Mushrooms by Ali Randall of Home & Plate
One-Pot Pepperoni Mushroom Pizza Pasta by Chrissie Baker of The Busy Baker
by Manju Mahadevan of Cooking Curries
Easy Chicken Marsala by Amanda Batcher of The Chunky Chef
Mushroom Bruschetta by Kaitie Lawlor of Fuchsia Freezer
by Sara Maniez of Life’s Little Sweets
PIN THIS ROUND UP OF YUMMY MUSHROOM RECIPES TO TRY!