Creamy, savoury mushroom risotto made with vegetable broth and cashew milk.
- 2 cups of arborio rice
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 package of sliced baby portobello mushrooms (around 250g)
- 1/2 cup of water
- 6 cups of vegetable broth
- 4 Tbsp cashew milk
- salt & pepper
- fresh herbs or parsley as garnish – I used terragon
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat and salute the onions for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the mushrooms and 1/2 cup of water. Simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the rice. Add half the vegetable, keeping the other half to pour in over the cooking time.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add in 1 1/2 cups of vegetable broth, stir well and cover for 10 minutes.
- Add the remaining vegetable broth, stir well and let simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
- Once the rice has absorbed the liquid, and reached a slightly sticky consistency remove the pot from the stove top. Stir in the cashew milk and sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Let stand for 3-5 minutes (as the rice absorbs the cashew milk) and then serve with garnish.
- If you have no dairy restrictions, freshly grated Parmesan cheese is very complimentary to this dish.
- Serving Size: 6