True to it’s name, this is a crumbly pie. A crumbly, scrumptious, juicy, delicious kind of pie. The sort that gets everyone messy (oh the kids faces were covered!), yet leaves everyone mmmm-ing over it. It’s the best of both worlds – pie and crumble. It’s not overly sweet, because the gorgeous flavour from the cherries takes centre stage and there’s no need to add too much sugar on top of nature’s own sweetness.
This yummy pie can be made with fresh or frozen cherries, which is a nice option when cherries aren’t quite in season yet. As long as you thaw the frozen fruit in the fridge overnight and reserve the juices to make a smoothie, they will bake beautifully.
This is the kind of pie that you bake to enjoy on a spring picnic with homemade lemonade. You can indulge in this pie hot out of the oven with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream or nice and cold from the refrigerator. It tastes yummy either way!
I hope you enjoy it and make sure to take a look at all the wonderful cherry recipes the Foodiemamas have created this month. They look absolutely scrumptious!
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked gluten-free pie crust (purchase pre-made or use mix to make your own)
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup gluten-free flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 pounds cherries, pitted
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/3 cup turbinado sugar
- 1/4 cup arrowroot starth
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Combine almonds, brown sugar, oats, flour, and salt in a large bowl. Work butter into the almond mixture with your fingers, breaking up any large pieces, until incorporated completely.
- Cover and chill for 15 minutes.
- Combine cherries, lemon juice, turbinado sugar, and arrowroot starch. Stir until well coated and no dry lumps remain
- Pour cherries and any accumulated juices into the prepared pie pan. Press down into the pan. Crumble oat mixture over the top. Place the pan on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cherries are bubbling and the crust and crumble topping are browned, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Serving Size: 8
8 MORE TASTY CHERRY RECIPES TO ENJOY FROM THE #FOODIEMAMAS
Cherry Crumb Cake by Kaitie Lawlor | Fuchsia Freezer
Easy Cherry Pie with Puff Pastry Crust by Sara Maniez | Life’s Little Sweets
Cherry Cheesecake Popsicles by Chrissie Baker | The Busy Baker
Cherry Ice Slush by Deepika Haldankar | Easy Baby Meals
Black Forest Chocolate Cherry Smoothie by Lucy Baker Brandes | Turnip the Oven
Cherry Almond Moroccan Inspired Couscous by Ali Randall | Home & Plate
Cherry vanilla skillet baked oatmeal by Trish Bozeman | Rhubarbarians
Cherry Thyme Puff Pastry Hand Pies by Manju Mahadevan | Cooking Curries
PIN IT & TRY THEM ALL!
LOOKING FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES BY THE FOODIE MAMAS? YOU GOT IT!
FOLLOW THE FOODIE MAMAS PINTEREST BOARD AND OUR HASHTAG #FOODIEMAMAS ACROSS SOCIAL MEDIA TO SEE WHAT’S COOKING.
- Discover Alltrue: A Socially Conscious Subscription Box and Community - October 9, 2021
- Mindfulness in Children: How to Make It Part of Family Life - October 3, 2021
- How You Can Create A Calm Environment At Home To Help Your Family Thrive - August 3, 2021