We all have our beauty faves, but sometimes it’s fun to shake things up and try new products, right? Especially ones that give great results. I’m sharing some of the beauty products that I’ve been using lately and loving.
For an exfoliated and fresh face, try…
1) Murad White Brilliance Cleansing Cream: Looking for a cleanser that will beat a lackluster complexion? You’ve found it. This gently-foaming cleanser cleans skins while enhancing moisture retention. The result is soft, luminous skin. I have been using mine for three weeks and I love how my skin looks bright and toned after washing with it.
2) Nip + Fab Glycolic Scrub: Keeping skin exfoliated and deep-cleaned is essential for other products to do their job well. This 3-in-1 micro exfoliant contains 3% glycolic acid and salicylic acids to refine, brighten + renew. I use mine three times a week to scrub away dead skin cells and clean pores. Bonus: it has a refreshing and awakening grapefruit scent!
3) Michael Todd Soniclear Elite Cleansing Brush: Once you try this cleansing brush, there is no going back. I’ve been using my Soniclear Elite cleaning brush for two months and I absolutely love it and recommend it to anyone who wants to see their best skin ever. This system comes with both an antimicrobial daily cleanse brush and body brush, for gentle and effective daily use. The brush bristles are gentle and work to stimulate blood flow and deep clean. It’s fully waterproof, so you can use it in the shower. It safely exfoliates skin and removes pore-clogging dirt. It comes with it’s own charger and a 5 year warranty.
For a smooth and moisturized face, try…
4) Murad Skin Perfecting Lotion: I recommend this lotion as an everyday moisturizer. You get the benefits of hydrated skin without excess shine and clogged pores. Bonus: it minimizes pores and soothes any redness and irritation. I am a big fan of this product – I apply it daily under my sunscreen or BB (with SPF built-in).
5) Murad White Brilliance Porcelain Serum: Release your skin’s glow with this high potency serum that reveals a brighter, more translucent skin. Created with four brightening technologies, say goodbye to dull skin.
6) Nip + Fab Dragon’s Blood Fix Serum: “In the morning I always use the Dragon’s Blood Serum as it is the most amazing base for my make up and is super moisturising”. – Kylie Jenner
If it’s good enough for Kylie, it’s good enough for me – right? Well, not for everything, but I do say yes to this serum. Where the serum I just mentioned focuses on brightening the skin, I find this one really does plump it up. Even though it’s quite lightweight to wear, I use this only a few times a week, because I find it very moisturising (I have oily skin). I actually find it the perfect serum to use after spending the day in the sun or at the pool because it contains Hyaluronic acid and delicate velvet flower – which together intensively hydrates skin and leaves it refreshed and comforted.
7) Murad Age-Balancing Night Cream: I have nothing but good things to say about this night-cream! I apply it liberally on my cleansed face, neck and chest before I go to bed. It keeps my skin hydrated all through the night. Especially with days spent outside and in the sun, this product calms and smoothes the skin. Bonus: It improves elasticity and restores suppleness to skin.
8) Nip + Fab Dragon’s Blood Fix Mask: Once a week I use this intensely hydrating gel mask with amazing results. I apply it on my face, neck and chest – and after use, your skin is pinky, glowing and visibly “filled”. It plumps the look of wrinkles and helps achieve a more youthful looking complexion. What is this Dragon’s Blood you ask? It’s from the Croton Lechleri tree and forms a protective film on the skin to protect against environmental aggressors (sun, wind, pollution…). The mask also contains salicylic acid which cleanses pores and exfoliates the skin. The Nip + Fab line is available at Shoppers Drug Mart in Canada.
For flawless, natural-looking skin coverage, try…
9) Maybelline Dream Fresh BB: Most days I’m makeup-free, but when I want light, even coverage I reach for my Dream Fresh BB. I discovered this product around two years ago and have gone through many tubes since. It’s a terrific “everyday” BB that offers 8 features to better looking skin: blurred imperfections, skin-brightening, evening out of skin tone, smoothing, hydrating, enhancing, offers 30 SPF protection, and comes with 0% oils or heavy ingredients – which means, it won’t cause breakouts!
10) MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15: I recently was introduced to this oil-controlling foundation that has a natural matte finish. The MAC makeup artist picked out a perfect match for my skin and applied it to one side of my face so I could see the difference. I loved how natural it looked! So many foundations, even when blended, look so made-up and I’m not a fan of that look on myself. This product applies, builds and blends easily and evenly – as noted on the MAC website. I can attest to that being true. I apply a daily moisturizer, like Murad Skin Perfection Lotion, then put a few drops of Studio Fix on my hand, dap a gently moistened makeup brush and apply evenly over my face and blend into my neck. It clearly minimizes the appearance of pores and gives a beautiful matte finish. You could wear this as an everyday foundation, if you wear foundation daily. I wear it when I’m doing my full makeup to go out, or to attend a meeting or an event.
11) Skinceuticals Physical Matte UV Defense SPF 50: So this is me cheating on my Dream Fresh BB. I was sent Skinceuticals Physical Matte UV Defense SPF 50 and I did just that – on a very hot, sunny day when I knew I’d be outside for most of it, I applied the product for the fact that it had SPF 50 protection. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it had a subtle tint to it that blended quite nicely on the skin. Additionally, it has a powdered finish, leaving skin matte – even on the hottest days. So, even though I love my Dream Fresh BB, this tinted sunscreen is better suited for hot summer days when I need more SPF coverage and oil-absorption. It’s really great, because it doesn’t “melt” off your face like other tinted moisturizers do.
For healthy and protected skin, try…
12) CyberDERM Every Morning Sun Whip SPF 25: Daily sunscreen is a beauty must. Find yourself a great quality daily sunscreen that you like and apply liberally to your face, neck, chest and hands. As I mentioned, I don’t wear my BB creams or foundation every day, and even though they both contain SPF, if you are planning to see some major sun action – you wouldn’t be applying enough of the product on your face to get the kind of protection you need. When it comes to sun protection, higher SPF and liberal application is important. Every Morning Sun Whip SPF 25 had a cashmere matte finish and contains zinc oxide which provides consistent and photo-stable protection against UVB and UVA rays. I have oily and sometimes acneic skin; this product is a great choice as it’s lightweight and won’t cause breakouts.
The CyberDERM sunscreens contain Zinc Oxide (over Avobenzone and Oxybenzone) – a naturally occurring mineral which protects against harmful rays. It used to be that thick whitish cream people applied to their nose, but CyberDerm formulated their product with a silky, transparent finish (no “ZINC” nose here).
“When choosing a sunscreen, look for the following active ingredients: zinc oxide or titanium dioxide (safe mineral sunscreens) […or 3 percent avobenzone.] Avoid products with oxybenzone (an endocrine disruptor) and vitamin A (or retinyl palmitate), which paradoxically may increase your skin cancer risk. And choose one without fragrance, as some fragrances can also act as hormone disruptors.”
13) CyberDerm Simply Zinc Sun Whip SPF 30: For those looking for a pure, physical sunscreen, this product is made with 22% certified organic Zinc Oxide in a rich and hydrating olive oil base. It’s perfect if you have sensitive or are looking for a sunscreen with additional anti-aging benefits. I actually love using this formula for sunscreen protection on my chest and hands.
14) Thursday Plantation Pure Tea Tree Oil, Pure Lavender Oil & Pure Eucalyptus Oil: Oils have been around for….ever. Although we’re seeing a new wave in their popularity, they’ve been used to help treat and heal for thousands of years.
Here are a few ways to use them.
A drop of Tea Tree Oil on a cotton, applied directly to a pimple can help fight bacteria and promote healthy skin. If you’re feeling congested from allergies or a cold, boil water, pour into a bowl with a few drops of Eucalyptus oil and breathe in the steam to help clear your head and sinuses. And one of my favourite ways to use Lavender Oil is on my feet! Blend a few drops with a carrier oil (like grapeseed oil) and rub into your fee for a relaxing massage – as well as relieving tension and stress in the body (p.s it also helps you drift off to sleep!).
For silky, shiny hair, try…
15) Orofluido Shampoo: This sulphate-shampoo feels amazing as you wash your hair and leaves strands gently cleansed and moisturized. Enriched with argan oil, cyperus oil and linseed – it leaves hair super shiny and healthy.
16) Orofluido Elixir: Following the shampoo, I apply this oil-enriched elixir to damp hair. It removes tangles and adds volume and “bounce” to your hair. I also distribute a few drops in my hair when I’m going on outdoor walks or swimming – it naturally protects from the sun (if you colour your hair, it will help prevent fading) Bonus: It smells amazing!
For a natural sunkissed look, try…
17) Guerlain Pause D’Ete Bronzing Powder: This luxurious bronzing powder is a combination of matte Terracotta bronzer (a best-selling shade from the Guerlain line) and a shimmery pink and gold colour. The result is a gorgeous natural glow all over.
18) glo Minerals Bronzer in Sunkiss: This bronzer is perfect for achieving a warm, natural sun-kissed glo to any complexion with a hint of shine. Sweep some product onto your makeup brush, gently tap excess off and apply to where the sun naturally hits your face.
19) Benefit Hoola Matte Bronzer: Looking for a very natural bronzer for contouring? Hoola is an award-winning product and I couldn’t live without it! Use it on your chin, cheese and forehead for matte contouring and achieving a natural tan – without any shimmer.
For brows on fleek, try…
20) Looky Brow: Looky Brow fibers are an easy and effective way to achieve natural, fuller looking eyebrows and a uniform shape. Whether you’re adding subtle colour for daytime or more dramatic definition for an evening look – Looky Brow is a great product. It’s available in three shades – dark blonde, brown, and dark brown. I’ve been using the dark blonde and then adding a touch of the brown if want more definition. (available online and in pharmacies across Canada)
21) Benefit Brow Zings Eyebrow Shaping Kit: This brow kit has it all – pigmented wax for shaping, natural-shaded powder for filling, tweezers, angled brush and blending brush. It’s great for keeping your brows in their best shape ever.
22) Essence Lash and Brow Gel Mascara: To keep brows in their place, I like to use a clear brow gel – I’ve tried tinted gels and I personally find them too harsh. So I like to use a shaded powder or shaded fibres to fill and shape my brows and then I use a clear gel, like this one from Essence, for a perfect finish.
For big, beautiful lashes, try…
23) Looky Eyes 3D Mascara: Try this dual system for your next night out! Looky Eyes delivers lash-lengthening and volumizing results. The application begins with a coat of the transplanting gel to prep your lashes for the fibers. Next you apply natural green tea fibers to your lashes which cling to the gel. The final look is dramatic long, thick lashes. (available online and in pharmacies across Canada).
24) Benefit They’re Real:This is my go-to mascara for everyday. They’re Real lengthens, curls, volumizes, lifts and separates. They look really natural, yet if you want them to be bolder, just add a few extra coats.
For luscious lips, try…
25) Lancôme Juicy Shaker: Shake what your mama gave you! Or in this case, enhance your natural lip colour with a splash of shiny colour and natural oils. The Juicy Shaker is made with a delicious blend of silky oils including, peach kernel oil, sweet almond oil, cranberry oil and musk rose oil – all with complementary properties with instantly offer a smooth and plump look to lips. It comes in an array of vibrant shades and because you shake it up, depending on how translucent you want the colour to come out – the colour finish is adjustable. Shake for more pigment or less. I’ve been wearing Boom-Meringue and Freedom of Peach on repeat and I’ll be shaking them up all summer long!
26) Ellovi Tinted Lip Butter: Treat your lips to an infused lip butter made with the Mediterranean flower, Alkanet. A hint of red, intense lip moisture, and long-lasting hydration make this lip butter a favourite of mine. Oh, and did I mention it’s lead-free and made with natural ingredients, you could eat!? Major win.
What products are you using and loving this summer? I’d love to know!
The Best of this Life received some of the products mentioned for testing and review purposes. All opinions and thoughts shared are 100% honest and personal. We only share what we use and love.