Beautiful and delicious homemade sweet jam made from summer’s delectable nectarines.
- 2 1/4 pounds nectarines, sliced and pitted
- 2 cups of sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons of fresh ginger zest.
- Stir together fruit and sugar in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved and mashing fruit with a potato masher.
- Add lemon juice; continue to boil, stirring frequently.
- Continue boiling for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove the foam from top.
- Stir in fresh ginger zest.
- Test the jam to see if it’s thick enough: use a wooden spoon to pick some up – it should be stick a bit to the spoon and look like jam consistency.
- Turn off the heat, allow to cool for 10 minutes. If the jam is too chunky for your taste, you can run a beater on low through it for 2 minutes.
- Afterwards, using a ladle, scoop jam into sterilized containers, leaving 3/4 inch of headroom. Let cool completely before refrigerating.
- Cover, label, and refrigerate up to 1 month, or freeze up to 1 year.
- Makes around 5 cups.