A favourite holiday treat the whole family will enjoy! Makes 24-32 bars
- 1 box Chocolate Chex cereal
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (6 oz)
- 1 bag of marshmallows (454 g)
- ½ – ¾ cup crushed peppermint candies
- Place cereal in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Grease a 13×9 inch baking pan and set aside.
- Using a large double boiler or large bowl for the microwave, heat up butter and chocolate chips until smooth (5-7 minutes medium heat on stove top or 1 minute on medium high in microwave).
- Add marshmallows and gently stir until coated.
- Continue stirring until the marshmallows melt completely (5 minutes on stove top, if using microwave, heat uncovered on medium high for 1-2 minutes).
- Once the mixture is smooth and melted, stir in cereal very gently until coated, taking caution not to break it up too much.
- Press the cereal mixture evenly into pan using a large silver spoon (cooled with ice cold water – it will help you spread the mix easier).
- Sprinkle with crushed peppermint candy, using desired amount.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Cut into squares with a large sharp knife and serve.