· 2 cups (454 g) white pea beans (like Thompson’s)
· 5 cups (1.18 L) cold water
· 1 medium onion, sliced then quartered
· 1½ tsp. (7 ml) salt
· 2 tsp. (10 ml) organic apple cider vinegar
· 1 tbsp. (15 ml) brown sugar
· ½ tsp. (2ml) prepared mustard
· ¼ cup (60 ml) Fancy Molasses
· ½ cup (125 ml) tomato ketchup (with no salt added)
· Pinch black pepper
· ¼ lb. (100 g) lean pork
Preheat oven to 250F
Sort and rinse beans removing any bean that is not whole.
In a large pot, add beans and pour 5 cups cold water over, cover, heat to boiling, then simmer 1 1/2 hours or until nearly tender. Make sure there is enough water in the pot while it’s simmering (if necessary add a little more to keep from bottom burning).
Put beans in a 6-cup flameproof casserole dish
Place onions in bean mixture.
Add remaining 7 ingredients in with the beans, stirring gently to combine.
Add additional water enough to cover mixture and place sliced lean pork on top.
Cover with lid and bake in oven at 250F for 7 hours stirring every hour or so.
Because I didn’t soak the beans overnight, I cooked them on low longer than the original recipe. It’s up to you whether you soak the beans overnight and cook them for a shorter period of time.