One of my fondest food memories from my childhood are the cinnamon rolls my mom would make on occasion for our family’s weekend breakfasts. They were always a welcomed surprise, and always so delicious!
I can remember waking up to the smell of brown sugar and cinnamon wafting through our home, excited to see what I would find in our kitchen.
To recreate that special treat, and to add my own spin, I used Pillsbury Grands! Cinnamon Rolls to make Southern Style Apple Cinnamon Brioches. Using an apple-filling to make these southern inspired rolls was a modification suggested by my husband, as he was born in Tennessee. These delightful brioches are as reminiscent of his youth as they are mine.
As a couple, we love making food that carries memories and traditions for each of us and in turn, we are both thrilled to introduce these recipes to our children. More often than not, they remind us of childhood stories to tell our kiddos too, which are usually good for a few giggles around the table!
These Southern Style Apple Cinnamon Brioches are everything you’d expect in a cinnamon roll with an added delectable fruit-filling, crunchy exterior and crumbly sweet topping. They are decadent and scrumptious, making for one special indulgence.
To make the brioches, I used the pre-made rolls as a base, rolled them until about half an inch flat and filled them up with a cooked apple cinnamon filling. I packed them back up, by folding the dough around the apples, then brushed the edges with egg yolk and topped them with a mixture of butter, sugar and flour.
As they baked, I set the table with fresh fruit, hot coffee and coconut milk. My kiddos waited in anticipation. And as the rolls grew bigger and bigger in the oven, the familiar aroma of my childhood filled the air, bringing back a whirlwind of happy memories.
To watch my husband and children enjoy, with such gusto, their homemade brioches, brought me such joy. The verdict was unanimous, a new family favourite has been created; with its own tales and memories to tell.
From our family to yours, I hope you enjoy these Southern Style Apple Cinnamon Brioches with your loved ones for a weekend breakfast soon!Print
A homemade breakfast treat that melts in your mouth.
- 1 can (17.5 oz) Pillsbury™ Grands!™ refrigerated cinnamon rolls
- 2 Granny Smith apples, 1 gala apple (or other sweet apple), cored and sliced into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 4 tbsp chilled butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease or spray 8- or 9-inch round pan and line with parchment paper
- Toss apple slices with lemon juice
- Place apples, brown sugar, water, and cinnamon into a skillet and cook for eight minutes, until liquid reduces
- Cool apple mixture to room temperature
- Separate the cinnamon rolls
- On a floured surface, roll out the cinnamon rolls until ½ inch – ¾ inch thick
- Spread cooled apple mixture in the middle of each cinnamon roll
- Wrap the dough around the apple mixture and fold the sides up
- Transfer the cinnamon rolls (brioches) to the prepared baking sheet
- Make topping by combining sugar and flour until blended. Cut in cold butter with a food processor until coarse crumbs are formed
- Brush dough with beaten egg
- Sprinkle topping on top of each cinnamon roll
- Bake 25 to 29 minutes or until golden brown
- Heat up icing on low in the microwave for 30 seconds or in a new skillet for one minute.
- Drizzle brioches with icing; serve warm
Emily Smith is an Ambassador for Life Made Delicious and a member of the “Delicious Experts” Influence panel. This post is in partnership with Life Made Delicious. As always, opinions are 100% personal.
- Discover Alltrue: A Socially Conscious Subscription Box and Community - October 9, 2021
- Mindfulness in Children: How to Make It Part of Family Life - October 3, 2021
- How You Can Create A Calm Environment At Home To Help Your Family Thrive - August 3, 2021