When I first opened this month’s PC Black Label Black Box, my first thoughts were, “PIZZA!”
You see, what I found inside November’s delivery was PC Black Label Pizza Sauce and PC Black Label “00” Farina Enriched, Unbleached Fine Wheat Flour. So of course, pizza would be at the top of the list for what to make with these scrumptious ingredients, but then I remembered I already made pizza using one of my PC Black Label Black Boxes and wanted to play around with something else. With it being the holiday season and all, I decided to make something a bit more festive.
Now, I’m hoping that I won’t offend any foodies by using the finest grade of milled Italian flour to make cookies! But for some reason the incredibly smooth, silky, fluffy flour just made me think of soft centered cookies that melt in your mouth. So there you have it, I used the PC Black Label “00” Farina Enriched, Unbleached Fine Wheat Flour to whip up these incredibly decadent Dark Chocolate Caramel Cookies and I couldn’t be happier about how they turned out.
Friends, these are not your regular, run of the mill chocolate cookies – no, these taste like the darkest, richest hot chocolate you’ve ever had with a swirl of gooey, sweet, oh-so-yummy caramel in the centre, sprinkled with white chocolate chips – just to throw it completely over the top in the best of ways.
Let me paint you a picture: you, nestled under a cozy, wool blanket, warming up by the fire with a mug of hot cocoa, and one of these mouthwatering cookies to enjoy, savour, and let melt in your mouth with every bite. Mmmmm….can’t you just taste them?
When it comes to Christmas cookies, I must tell you, my husband is the ultimate judge. He taste-tests all my cookies and let’s me know what’s what. Because of food sensitivities and preferences in my family, I make a variety of cookies, including gluten-free. These cookies past the test as they are, as well as the allergy-friendly alternative (an easy conversion with PC All Purpose Gluten-Free Flour). OH YA! They’re winners all around.
Without further ado, here is the incredibly scrumptious recipe – I just know you’ll love, because chocolate…and caramel…and the finest grade of milled Italian flour!
P.S GIVEAWAY AFTER THE RECIPE BELOW 😉
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups PC Black Label 00 Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 14-16 small soft caramel candies
- 1/4 cup white chocolate chips
- In a double-boiler (or the microwave), on medium heat, combine butter and chocolate chips, stirring until the chocolate chips have completely melted. Let cool for 5-8 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, blend the eggs, brown sugar, and vanilla until smooth (you can use an electric mixer for 30 seconds-1 minute). Slowly pour in the melted chocolate and butter, mix until blended.
- Next, add in the cocoa powder, PC Black Label 00 Flour, baking powder, and salt - stirring until well combined. Again, you can use a an electric mixer here to help you out.
- Once the dough is prepared, cover it with plastic wrap and let stand in the fridge for 1 ½ hours or overnight. If you do overnight, you will have to let it sit at room temperature for about 20 minutes before using it as it will be too firm.
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Unwrap caramel squares, and slightly flatten them (using your hands or rolling pin) to better fit in the cookies.
- Using a measurment spoon scoop 1 Tbsp of dough and roll it into a ball, slightly flatten it and place a caramel in the center. Spoon another 1 Tbsp of dough, roll it into ball then top the bottom half with it, slightly flattening and sealing the sides together.
- Repeat until all the dough is used, it should make around 14-16 cookies.
- Once all the cookies are on the baking sheets, add a few white chocolate chips to the top of each cookie.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Allow cookies to cool for 15 minutes before moving or serving. Ideally, transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely through before storing. Enjoy!
- If the dough is too wet when you're working with it, sprinkle a little bit of flour on it to manage it better (use sparingly!). Keeps for 1 week in the fridge in a air-sealed container.
Now what about that pizza sauce? Well, making pizza with my kids is still on my mind, and I’m thinking of making some pizza bites to serve up as holiday appetizers, I have a feeling the little folk will particularly enjoy them. This PC Black Label Pizza Sauce is made in Italy with a blend of simple, traditional ingredients, such as sweet Italian tomatoes, extra virgin olive oil, onions and carefully selected herbs and spices. It has a wonderful flavour to it!
The holiday season is a wonderful time to get creative in the kitchen! I’ve been having a ton of fun this year with my own #PlayWithYourFood journey – it’s been awesome learning about new #PCBlackLabel products and sharing my cooking ideas with you. I am excited to team up with President’s Choice to #PlayItForward to my fabulous readers and offer one lucky winner the a #PCBlackLabel black box of their own and a $50 PC gift card. Woo-hoo!
To enter, leave a comment on this blog post telling me what YOU would make using the PC Black Label “00” Farina Enriched, Unbleached Fine Wheat Flour! After you comment, please make sure to confirm your entry in the contest widget below and check out other ways you can enter for a chance to win. When sharing on social media, be sure to include the product name, as well as the hashtags: #PlayWithYourFood and #PCBlackLabel for your entry to count. Good luck and buon appetito friends, xx
This recipe has been created in partnership with President’s Choice and the PC Black Label Collection. I am proud to be a #PlayWithYourFood partner! As always, all opinions are personal.