The weather forecast predicts grey skies and rainy fall days ahead. Our warm, sunny autumn days of October are behind us and the air is considerably damper. It’s time to pull out boots, scarves, and hats. It’s the season for hearty breakfasts to sustain us through the morning and help us brave the cold.
This is the time of year when baking nutritious and comforting goods is key to starting the day on the right foot. My kids aren’t as interested in smoothies, and neither am I. I’ll still make them, but our glasses are smaller and we need something to munch into that will warm our bellies.
Loaves, breads, and muffins packed with fruits, vegetables and seeds are perfect for this season, just like this scrumptious Apple Banana Bread made with gluten-free flour. It’s easily adaptable if you want to use regular flour or whole wheat. Because of the natural sweetness of bananas and apples, it doesn’t require much sugar and honestly, you could probably omit it altogether if you’re looking to make a sweet bread that is free from refined sugar.
This bread is moist, hearty, comforting, naturally sweet, and pairs wonderfully with coffee, tea, or a tall glass of (any kind of ) milk. It taste yummy at room temperature, or slightly broiled in the oven with a touch of butter. My kids enjoy it on its own or with a smear of natural peanut butter. It’s simple to make, and easy to enjoy!
This bread is moist and naturally sweetened. It makes a delicious breakfast bread or after school snack.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 2 large eggs
- 3 ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
- 3/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce (you can make homemade from 2–3 apples)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1–½ cups PC Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour Blend (or other all purpose gf blend)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F . Grease 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
- Cream butter with sugar in bowl using electric mixer. Beat in eggs one at a time. Beat in bananas vanilla, then add apple sauce.
- Sift together flour, soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in another bowl. Stir into banana mixture using wooden spoon just until combined. Spoon into prepared pan.
- Bake 1 hour or until tester inserted in centre comes out clean. If bread browns too quickly, cover loosely with foil.
- Cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely on rack.
- Slice and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 12
As the temperature drops, this is the kind of recipe that’s fantastic to make in the evening. You can pull it out before bed time, place a cloth over it and voila, breakfast is waiting for you in the morning.
Bon appetit, xx
- Discover Alltrue: A Socially Conscious Subscription Box and Community - October 9, 2021
- Mindfulness in Children: How to Make It Part of Family Life - October 3, 2021
- How You Can Create A Calm Environment At Home To Help Your Family Thrive - August 3, 2021