Every holiday season, I indulge in a certain specialty hot chocolate from a well-known coffee shop. As we start to see white, fluffy snowflakes flutter to the ground, it’s just like warm hug on a cold winter’s day that hits the spot.
For the last few years, I’ve been trying different recipes for my family’s hot chocolate bar. Whether we set it up for Christmas morning or a holiday party – it’s always a hit, especially with little ones. This time around, I want to surprise my kiddos with that very specialty hot beverage: The Peppermint White Hot Chocolate.
I looked up the ingredients found in the store-bought drink and did some research for recipes to make a homemade version, and finally came up with a recipe I wanted to give a go in my new Hamilton Beach Set & Forget® 6 Qt. Programmable Slow Cooker.
First of all, let me tell you a bit about the wonderful features of this slow cooker; it’s amazing! The Set & Forget® Programmable Slow Cooker has three choices for easy, automatic cooking: program, probe and manual mode. It’s so convenient, I can program the cooking time and Set & Forget® Slow Cooker automatically shifts to keep warm when the cooking time is up, so we can have a hot dinner (or beverage!) whenever we’re ready for it. It’s also incredibly convenient for traveling, if you’re bringing your tasty meal to a family dinner or holiday party, thanks to the Set & Forget® Slow Cooker’s clip-locked, secure lid which has a tight seal to help ensure that you arrive with your meal or hot beverage intact and without any messy spills.
When it comes to using the slow cooker, there are so many ways you can make the most of it and tons of recipes to try. From pot roast meals to apple cider, the possibilities are endless.
This recipe for homemade Peppermint White Hot Chocolate is as simple as it gets, you only need 4 ingredients and voila, in no time at all there’s a decadent, steamy hot holiday drink ready for you and your family to enjoy!
Here’s what you’ll need: milk, white chocolate, candy canes, and vanilla. That’s it! These all work together to make a rich and scrumptious treat no one can resist. In fact, if you leave a cup out for Santa, there’s no telling what delightful presents he might leave under the Christmas tree in return.
Cheers to the beginning of the holiday season friends!
- 8 cups whole milk or other rich, creamy milk (like coconut, or cashew - I used canned coconut milk)
- 6 oz white baking chocolate
- 3/4 cup crushed candy canes or 3 Tbsp peppermint extract
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Whipped cream
- Crushed candy canes
- chocolate sprinkle
- mini candy canes
- Turn your slow cooker to LOW and beginning adding all your ingredients, stirring them to combine. Allow the slow cooker to warm up for 15 minutes then switch to HIGH and let the hot chocolate simmer for 1 hour, stirring every 15-20 minutes to make sure the candy cane and chocolate blends well with the milk.
- Before serving, test the temperature to make sure it's not too hot before serving.
- Optional: top with whipped cream, sprinkle with crushed candy canes or chocolate sprinkles and finish the presentation with a mini candy cane. Cheers!
This post is proudly presented in partnership with Hamilton Beach Canada, as always all opinions are personal. Emily is a 2017-2018 Hamilton Beach Canada Ambassador.