When we think of appetizers for cocktail hour and formal parties, our mind often wanders to canapés. However, I remember the first time I was served a mini cheeseburger slider at a reception and thought to myself, “That is genius.” It’s fun to think outside the box and come up with hors d’oeuvres and apps that aren’t necessarily typical.
For me, individually sized salads fall into that category. I’ve spotted them a few times at events, served in small cups with delicate forks and I have to say, I just love the concept. It allows guests to enjoy some enzymes before the main course, as well as offers them a bread-free option if they want to keep their eating light for the evening.
The star of this elegant appetizer is none other San Daniele® Prosciutto – a beautifully aged meat that has a delicate buttery taste and pleasant aroma with soft balance sweet and salty flavours. It’s hands down my favourite prosciutto, offering such a lovely taste and texture that’s marvelous to enjoy on its own or, in this case over a light bed of organic pea shoots, sliced pears, and bocconcini. Adding only a final drizzle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and a pinch of salt and pepper. These layers of delectable, whole ingredients make this a fresh and delicious choice to serve before dinner while your guests are enjoying a glass of crisp vino.
It’s up to you how you present this dish. I find it quite beautiful to display on a cutting board, all the colours and layers are so lovely to look at. If you do choose to have it spread out on board, just have serving utensils rested alongside and small bowls and salad forks readily available. Alternatively, and especially if you are serving on a platter to standing guests – you can prep single-serve bowls that are convenient to pick up and dive in! Either way, it will be well received I’m sure.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 3 pears, thinly sliced
- 1 cup of organic pea shoot greens
- 6 slices of San Daniele Prosciutto, cut in half
- 1 cup of mini Bocconcini, sliced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp of chopped fresh basil
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Place the pea shoots, oil, balsamic vinegar and lemon juice in a large bowl and toss gently to combine. Scatter the mixture over a wooden board for presentation, or fill individual bowls. Top with sliced pears, sliced Bocconcini, fresh basil, salt and pepper. Serve and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 6
For as long as I can remember, San Daniele® Prosciutto has been part of our holiday feasting. Whether enjoyed over greens or paired with a chunk of Italian bread and a favourite creamy cheese, it’s classic holiday fare.
As you may have noticed, I’ve proudly partnered with Mastro and San Daniele this month to bring you mouth watering recipes you can enjoy throughout the season as well as some fun Instagram giveaways offering you the chance to win a Mastro and San Daniele prize pack! To enter this week’s giveaway come visit me at @best_ofthislife and leave me a comment sharing what your favourite way to eat San Daniele Prosciutto is! Don’t forget to follow @share_mastro for a bonus entry. Good luck and buon appetito!
Emily is an ambassador for Mastro and San Daniele this holiday season. This post is proudly presented in partnership with Mastro and San Daniele. As always, all opinions are honest and personal.
- Finding Joy and Confidence While Living With Chronic Pain - November 23, 2020
- 100 Festive Things to Do At Home in December - November 21, 2020
- Do You Declutter Your Home Before Decorating for the Holidays? - November 19, 2020