Disclosure: I have partnered with YMC and Turkey Farmers of Ontario and have received compensation for this post. All opinions are my own.
Taco Tuesdays have been a standing tradition around here, ever since my son could first bite into one! Now seven years old and a bonafide taco aficionado, he’s always sure to let us know when taco night it just around the corner.
Over the years, we’ve made all kinds of variations of your typical taco, but one of our favourites is with lean ground turkey. As a recognized superfood, it has a wonderful flavour simply browned on its own, or to really make it burst with taste you can add some chopped vegetables, broth, and spices like we do (I’m sharing our recipe below). With just a few extra ingredients and a little bit of simmering, the ground turkey truly shines.
However, it’s not just the delicious flavour that makes turkey a number one choice for my family, it’s also a healthy alternative to other proteins, is low in fat and is an excellent source of essential vitamins such as B12, B6, and B3. You can check out the detailed nutritional facts on turkey here.
It’s easy to see why we’re making this week a Turkey Taco Tuesday. Phew! That’s a mouthful! With mouth-watering, savoury ground turkey as the star of the show, we love to set out a buffet with lots of topping options. My husband, myself, and my kids all have an appreciation of different add-ons so we make sure to put a little of everything on the table. I’m a huge fan of garnishing my turkey taco with sliced avocado, chopped tomato, cilantro, salsa, sour cream, and a blend of Monterey jack and cheddar cheese. Mmmmm…perfection!
When it comes to feeding my family, turkey is always on my grocery list. It’s a go-to protein that everyone enjoys, whether we’re cooking up these tantalizing tacos or making a traditional turkey breast served with roasted vegetables and rice. The beauty of buying turkey is it can be sourced locally thanks to Turkey Farmers of Ontario – and we’re always happy to get quality, local foods.
So the next time you’re heading the store to pick up dinner, why not grab a pack of ground turkey and the rest of the simple ingredients to make it a rockin’ Turkey Taco Tuesday. Bon Appetit friends!Print
These flavourful turkey tacos are an excellent source of essential nutrients and the perfect weekday dinner.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 chopped tomato
- 3/4 pound ground turkey
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 12 taco shells or soft tortillas
- In a skillet over medium heat, add in canola oil and onions. Cook for 7 minutes. Add in the tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Add in the ground turkey and chicken broth and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Stir occasionally until the turkey is cooked right through. Add in the cilantro, spices, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir and remove from heat.
- Set out a table with all the toppings and add-ons you wish to enjoy. They might include sliced avocado (or guacamole) , chopped tomatoes, chopped cilantro, limes (for squeezing fresh juice), salsa, peppers, grated cheese, and sour cream among others.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 6
Pin this tasty recipe!