These Christmas cookies are fluffy, moist, decadent, minty, and super chocolatey! They’re perfect for enjoying with your favourite holiday drink and gifting to family and friends.
Has anyone else started to get their bake on this holiday season? It feels like we might have begun a bit early this year, but no one is complaining. We get to indulge and enjoy a few of our favourite festive treats and freeze the rest for closer to Christmas. Once I spotted candy canes in-store, these scrumptious gluten-free candy cane chocolate cookies went straight to the top of my baking list. They are seriously delicious and a great accompaniment to a peppermint mocha, if I do say so myself.
If you’re a fan of the classic chocolate and mint combination, you’re going to love these. They are rich with chocolatey flavour and balanced wonderfully with a hint of mint within the cookie itself and sprinkled on top, thanks to the beautiful crushed candy cane topping.
For kids who are helping you out in the kitchen, crushing the candy canes and scattering them on top of the cookies before they go into the oven is one of their favourite parts of baking these, other than eating them!
These cookies stay incredibly tender and moist, so they’re a great choice for baking ahead of a holiday party or gathering. They make an excellent choice to gift, because they won’t break during transporting. To store, I just layer them in a cookie tin or plastic container with a piece of wax paper in between. You could also put them in festive favour bags with a ribbon and a tag to give to a friend, neighbour, or as a Secret Santa gift.
What do I love about these Christmas cookies? What’s not to love! They are easy to make, delicious, and very festive. They’re a wonderful treat on a cold winter’s day and are perfect for dipping in hot chocolate or milk.
I hope you enjoy this holiday favourite as much as my family does!
A perfect Christmas cookie for everyone who loves peppermint and chocolate treats.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon pure peppermint extract
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup crushed candy canes
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. If your candy canes aren’t crushed already, prepare them by putting them in a ziplock bag and crushing them using a rolling pin.
- In a medium mixing bowl, blend together flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa.
- In a seperate large mixing bowl, use a hand mixer to cream butter and both kinds of sugar together until smooth. Add in eggs, mix, then add in extracts and mix once more.
- Gradually add flour mixture to wet mixture and beat until combined, don’t over blend.
- Place the crushed candy canes in a small bowl. Using a tablespoon, spoon the dough into rounded balls and lightly dip the tops of the cookies into candy cane pieces. You just want enough pieces for a nice topping (none on the bottom).
- Place cookie balls on prepared baking sheet, about 2 inches apart, and gently press the top down slightly.
- Bake cookies for 9-11 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let sit on baking sheet for 5 minutes before moving to a baking rack to cool. Enjoy!
- This recipe makes about 24 large cookies, using a tablespoon. You could also make them smaller for more cookies.
PIN this recipe!
Looking for more Christmas Cookie Recipes?
- Summertime Fun With the Primo Foldable Scooter - July 5, 2020
- Self-Care With the OSIM uCozy 3d Neck and Shoulder Massager - July 3, 2020
- Beauty Buzz: Jouviance Dream Cream Night Repair Cream-In-Mask - June 25, 2020