A perfect Christmas cookie for everyone who loves peppermint and chocolate treats.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon pure peppermint extract
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup crushed candy canes
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. If your candy canes aren’t crushed already, prepare them by putting them in a ziplock bag and crushing them using a rolling pin.
- In a medium mixing bowl, blend together flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa.
- In a seperate large mixing bowl, use a hand mixer to cream butter and both kinds of sugar together until smooth. Add in eggs, mix, then add in extracts and mix once more.
- Gradually add flour mixture to wet mixture and beat until combined, don’t over blend.
- Place the crushed candy canes in a small bowl. Using a tablespoon, spoon the dough into rounded balls and lightly dip the tops of the cookies into candy cane pieces. You just want enough pieces for a nice topping (none on the bottom).
- Place cookie balls on prepared baking sheet, about 2 inches apart, and gently press the top down slightly.
- Bake cookies for 9-11 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let sit on baking sheet for 5 minutes before moving to a baking rack to cool. Enjoy!
- This recipe makes about 24 large cookies, using a tablespoon. You could also make them smaller for more cookies.