It’s Victoria Day Long Weekend and I’m here for it! Although we’re having a serious lack of sunshine here in Ottawa, the May long weekend is the unofficial kick off to summer season, and I’m not letting the cooler temperatures or missing Mr. Sun rain on my parade. Well, I mean, there might actually be rain but I’ll try not to let it bring me down. We can always barbecue in the rain!
So even if it’s a grey weekend where you’re at too, why not make your own sunshine? All you need for a fun long weekend party are some bright decorations, tasty drinks, satisfying snacks, and yummy treats. Like these sweet and delicious Lemon Coconut Bars!
If You Love Coconut, You’ve Come to the Right Place
You may have noticed, I’ve been digging coconut this season. It’s helping to satisfy my near insatiable appetite for summer on a subconscious level. This past month, I’ve made coconut pancakes, coconut macaroons, and now these lemon coconut bars. And I’m not mad about it, because they’re all scrumptious.
These zesty bars are bursting with lemon and coconut flavour! They capture sunshine rays and tropical vibes in every, single bite. Nom, nom, nom.
These Lemon Coconut Bars are Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, and Keto-Friendly too!
The base of the bar (aka crust) is coconut flour, so if you’re gluten-free or looking for a keto-friendly dessert recipe, score! I made these using monk fruit sugar, which was a first for me. I love how they turned out! Have you tried monk fruit sugar before? Of course, feel free to use regular sugar or….coconut sugar! Ah, coconut, you are a wonder.
Everyone Loves A Dessert Table
I highly recommend making these sweet, slightly tart bars to enjoy this long weekend! With the addition of some festive plates, a fruit platter and thirst-quenching drinks (we love the fizzy variety around here!), your dessert table is set. I personally opted for the tropical theme with palm leaves, lemons, and one happy pineapple. I might even put sunglasses on him because, how cute would that be!?
Happy Victoria Day!
Happy Victoria Day Long Weekend friends! I hope you have a fantastic one. If you live here in Ottawa or are visiting, make sure to stop by the Tulip Festival, it’s the last few days before they wrap it up.
And of course, make these scrumptious Lemon Coconut Bars, you’ll be glad you did!Print
These delicious lemon coconut bars are zesty and sweet! The base is made with coconut flour, so they’re also gluten-free and keto-friendly.
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 4 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup monk fruit sugar ((or any other sugar))
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted (room temperature)
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1 1/4 cup monk fruit sugar ((or any other sugar))
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut ((you can use sweetened if you prefer))
For the base
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F. Line with parchment paper and grease an 8×12 inch baking pan (you can also use 9x 13 inch for more bars that are slightly thinner, they may require less baking time so watch closely).
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk eggs and combine with melted (room temperature) coconut oil and pure vanilla extract. Stir in the monk fruit sugar (or other sugar).
- Add in the coconut flour and pinch of salt. Mix until a dough forms. If it seems liquidy, just wait a few minutes as the coconut flour will absorb the liquid.
- Press the dough into the prepared pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool until you’re ready to add filling.
For the filling
- In small mixing bowl, beat the eggs, monk fruit sugar, lemon juice and baking powder until combined. Pour over crust and sprinkle with coconut.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, until edges are golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars and enjoy!
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
DON’T FORGET TO PIN THIS RECIPE!