When I was a kid, one of my favourite soups was mushroom soup, usually made from a can. While there’s nothing wrong with canned soup, and it was always really yummy to me, it’s also nice to make a homemade soup with fresh ingredients you can pick up at the farmers market. And you know how much I love going to the farmers market!
Have You Ever Done a Soup Exchange?
The recipe I’m sharing with you today is actually from my big sister, Jessica. A few years ago she was working in Toronto and the team she worked with decided to do a soup exchange once a week. The deal was every person each took a turn to make a homemade soup; enough to feed the gang!
Not only did you get to sample a whole bunch of soups, one day a week you didn’t have to worry about lunch. As an added bonus, each person would bring in the recipe so you’d get to keep it and make it for yourself.
I love the concept so much!
When it was my sister’s turn, she made a vegan mushroom soup that was based off of a few different recipes. She was looking for a rich, creamy mushroom soup recipe without the dairy. But most of them include milk. So she took a few ideas from here and there and made a new mushroom soup recipe that’s super thick and oh so comforting.
To make it creamy, she used cooked brown rice as a thickening agent. You cook the rice ahead of time and then add it into the soup and puree it until it’s nice and smooth. It makes the soup quite luxurious and surprisingly filling.
The other thing I love about this soup is just how flavourful and savoury it is. There’s lots of garlic in the recipe and it’s important to note that my sis wanted me to tell you not to be afraid of the garlic. It adds so much flavour and balances wonderfully with the meatiness of the mushrooms and saltiness from the broth. So, don’t be afraid of garlic! 😉
This Mushroom Soup Is so Easy to Make!
Recently my sister and I made this recipe together. Well, she did most of the work and walked me through the steps! The whole process is really quite simple. Once you’ve prepared the rice, browned the garlic, and cooked the mushrooms, it happens fairly quickly to put the whole soup together.
And I can tell you first hand, not only will your kitchen smell absolutely delicious as you’re cooking, the delightful fragrance fills the air with a delicious warmth that’s perfect for this time of year.
If there are any hungry bellies at home, they will come running to find out what’s cooking, because it smells that good. Better yet, it tastes that good. I didn’t hesitate to have a second bowl!
So without further delay, I’m sharing my sister’s recipe with you below. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. It’s truly such a comforting dish, not to mention a great bowl of wholesomeness to take on cold season!Print
A savoury, creamy mushroom soup recipe that hits all the right notes. It's thick, satisfying, and full of flavour. Perfect to warm you up on a cold day!
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions (chopped)
- 8 cloves garlic (minced)
- 16 oz white mushrooms (chopped)
- 16 oz cremini mushrooms (chopped)
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp sea salt (or more, to taste)
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper (or more, to taste)
- 4 cups rice milk
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium. Add onion and garlic and sauté until fragrant and soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add ¾ of the chopped mushrooms and sauté until liquid has evaporated and mushrooms are soft.
- Stir in vegetable stock, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in 4 cups of rice milk and cooked brown rice (* the rice milk combined with the cooked brown rice replaces the need for milk or cream. You can blend these two ingredients first separately if you prefer).
- Using an immersion blender – or transferring contents to a regular blender – pulse until soup is smooth.
- In a small pan sauté the rest of the finely chopped mushrooms and add them to the creamy soup.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: American
PIN THIS RECIPE!
- 7 Reasons To Love This New Vegan Handbag Collection - December 17, 2021
- Home for the Holidays: 2021 Gift Guide - December 12, 2021
- Elevate Your Space with Beautiful Prints from The Poster Store - November 26, 2021