These golden oatmeal cookies are full of nostalgia, holiday cheer, and sweet M&Ms! They’re fun to bake with kids and are a classic Christmas cookie to add to any treat table.
Holiday Baking = Memories and Fun
It’s beginning to feel a lot like Christmas, and now’s the time for holiday baking! To say I am a Christmas cookie fan might be an understatement. Christmas cookies are a holiday tradition I love, and I am not the only one, I have a whole household of Christmas cookie enthusiasts. One of our family’s favourite cookies is my classic gluten-free M&M cookies.
Oatmeal M&M Cookies Are a Christmas Tradition
For years I have made and shared M&M cookies with friends, family, and here with you on bestofthislife.com. Seeing a bag of the classic red and green holiday M&Ms brings me right back to my childhood. I sometimes make them with oats and without, using butter or coconut oil, or vegetable shortening. I like to play around with them, but no matter how I make them, I always love ‘em. That said, I’m particularly fond of the oatmeal variety. There’s something about that oatmeal and chocolate combination that just tastes so good!
And I’m not the only one who thinks so. My son, Aiden, is totally smitten just like his mama.
When I kicked off our holiday baking, out of all the recipes, he was especially excited about the oatmeal M&M cookies! I don’t blame him. They’re just so scrumptious with their golden edges, toasted oatmeal flavour, tender centers, and chocolatey crunch.
This year’s first batch of these holiday cookies didn’t last that long but I am sure I will be making more. The joy of sharing these simple red and green spotted cookies with my family keeps me grounded in what I love about this festive season. Enjoying them when I was a kid and baking them for my own kids is like a wondrous trip there and back through a magical portal in time.
Gluten-Free Oatmeal M&M Cookies
- 1 cup vegetable shortening or room temperature butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp molasses
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp teaspoon salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 cups gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 cup red and green M&Ms
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.Grease or line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cream shortening (or butter) and sugar together until smooth. Beat the eggs, molasses and vanilla and then mix into shortening mixture until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix gluten-free flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt together.Add to shortening mixture and stir together until dough forms. Add in gluten-free rolled oats and M&Ms. Cover and chill the cookie dough in the fridge for 30 minutes-1 hour. Drop cookie dough balls about 1 Tbsp large on the baking sheet. Leave 2 inches space in between each cookie. Gently press them down (not flat) and top with a few extra M&Ms.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until they have lightly browned on the sides. Don't over bake! Remove from the oven and allow them to cool for 5-10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy!
SAVE THIS RECIPE ON PINTEREST