We love the timeless combination of peppermint and chocolate in these Christmas cookies. Hershey’s Candy Cane Kisses take centre stage, complemented by rich, fudgy, chocolatey goodness.
- 1/2 cup lard, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup golden yellow sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 Tablespoons almond milk (or regular milk)
- 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 20 Hershey’s Candy Cane Kisses
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the lard and sugars using a hand mixer. Mix for about 45 seconds, until creamed together. Add in the egg, vanilla, and milk – mix until smooth (another 45 seconds).
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Use a sifter or fork to get rid of all clumps. Add in the wet ingredients in 3 parts to the dry mixture. Mix together until soft, wet dough forms. Cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight (or a minimum of 2 hours).
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Scoop out dough, about 1 Tablespoon in size, and roll into balls. Cover each ball of dough with confectioner’s sugar and place on the cookie sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes (keep a close watch).
- Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before adding 1 Hershey’s Candy Cane Kiss to each center. Place the cookie sheets in the freezer to allow the chocolate to set. Remove from the freezer and store in an airtight container.
To make these gluten-free: use a cup for cup gluten-free flour.
- Category: Cookies
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Christmas cookies, crinkle cookies, candy cane kisses