25 Delicious Recipes to Celebrate Canada Day
Canada Day Long Weekend is here! School’s out for summer, the sun is shining, and it’s time to unwind and celebrate. What are your plans? Will you be relaxing by the pool all weekend long, heading to the cottage, or exploring all the events in the city? I’d love to hear what you’re up to – let me know on instagram @best_ofthislife or twitter @bestofthislife.
We’ll be living that pool life all weekend long and celebrating both Canada Day and my husband’s birthday on July 1st. We’re also welcoming home my big sister who’s been abroad for the past year; we’re so happy to have her back! I can’t wait to have a chill get together, grill up some delicious food, and throw a party.
When it comes to Canada Day, what foods and desserts do you like to prepare? Good old hamburgers and hot dogs have always been on the menu for us, but we also like to add in some Canadian flare with colourful kabobs, maple-leaf s’mores, and patriotic cakes – like this Jos Louis one I made two years ago.
In honour of Canada’s birthday, I wanted to share a round-up of mouth-watering foods, drinks, treats, and desserts to inspire you to add a little or a whole lot of OH CANADA YUM to your celebrations this weekend. Whether you’re hosting or heading to a friend’s for a BBQ, this list is sure to get you in the festive-food mood!
25+ Canada Day Party Recipe Ideas
APPETIZERS, SALADS + MAINS:
- Grilled Steak Kabobs: Bright red grape tomatoes and white mushrooms make these kabobs extra patriotic.
- Cheesy Bacon Wrapped Chicken: Tender chicken and perfectly cooked asparagus wrapped up in bacon. Need I say more?
- Caprese Steak: Perfect for a backyard BBQ, this recipe is simple and delicious. The white mozzarella and red tomato also add to the Canada Day theme!
- Italian Chopped Salad With Creamy Parmesan Dressing: A fresh, packed-full of good stuff salad that hits the spot and completes any summer pool party!
- Homemade Healthy Coleslaw: Healthy and delicious side dish, perfect for adding to burgers or pulled-pork sandwiches (like the one below!)
- Pulled Pork Sandwiches: These tasty sandwiches are a crowd-pleaser.
- Mom’s Spicy Slow-Cooker Chili: This recipe is a healthy and hearty chili dish without being overly spicy – it’s just the right amount of flavour. It’s yummy on its own or you can use it as a topping for barbecued hot dogs.
- Thai turkey sliders with peanut slaw: Bursting with flavour and oh-so-fun to eat, these sliders are always a BIG hit.
- Garlic & Herb Grilled Sweet Potato Fries: These scrumptious sweet potato fries are so savoury! The perfect accompaniment to any grilled main.
TREATS + DESSERTS
- Jos Louis Cake: When I was growing up, there was one coveted lunch box treat that all the children desired more than anything. It was a Jos Louis! This Canadian-made dessert has a special place in many grownups’ memories and kids’ lunches to this day. This cake is SO Canadian!
- Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies: What! Bacon in cookies? Yas!
- Gluten-Free Lemon Blackberry Yogurt Squares: A delightfully creamy and fresh fruit-filled dessert using seasonal blackberries.
- Pecan Butter Tarts: A classic Canadian sweet treat to add to the dessert table.
- Lime Mousse: Sublime, heavenly, creamy, zesty, oh-so-delicious! Just a few of the ways I’d describe this incredible lime mousse dessert!
- Maple Leaf S’mores: it doesn’t get simpler than using your favourite maple leaf cookies, roasting some marshmallows and making a s’more! You can open up the cookies, leaving the icing and smoosh the marshmallow between the two sides of the cookie. For extra indulgence, you can add a piece of chocolate too!
- Raspberry Mint Lemonade Frozen Yogurt: Served up in lemon bowls, this summery dessert is not just delectable, it’s adorable too.
- Strawberry Shortcake Dip: Strawberries are in season! Pair this dip with tasty dippers like shortbread cookies for a superb summer treat.
- Maple Leaf Watermelon Pops: Not only are they refreshing, hydrating, and delicious – they’re super cute! Who doesn’t like fun-shaped fruit! My kids think they are such a fun way of munching on watermelon. Plus, for kids and grown-ups alike who don’t like to get their hands all sticky and messy, they’re ideal.
- Canadian Flag Cake: This cake might be easy-peasy to make, but it’s a real show-stopper.
- Mom’s Nanaimo Bars: One of Canada’s ultimate desserts. These are SO good.
DRINKS + COCKTAILS
- Iced Chai Latte (Sugar-Free and Dairy-Free): A thirst quenching blended drink for after dinner.
- Pomegranate Basil Sparkling Cocktail: Whether you enjoy this as a mocktail or spiked, it’s super refreshing on a hot day.
- Mint, Strawberry, and Lime Infused Water: Add some flavour to your water on Canada Day with this simple and easy recipe. The combination of mint, strawberries, and lime is heavenly!
- Cherry Slushies: All you will need to make these healthy and fruity slushies are some fresh or frozen cherries, frozen concentrated cranberry juice, fresh mint leaves and sprite. Cheers!
- Glaceau Fruitwater in Black Cherry Vanilla: You can purchase this sparkling drink in cute red cans that add a pop of colour to your Canada Day decor. While they’re not a recipe, they’re totally festive!
- Caprese Caesar Cocktail: One of Canada’s most popular cocktails, your guests will love this flavourful recipe.
- Roasted Peach and Rosemary Fizz: A subtly sweet and summery fresh beverage to cheers Canada’s birthday.
- Iced Tea: It couldn’t be easier to make homemade iced tea! Here are some tips to make the perfect pitcher.
- Canada Day Party Punch: Quick and easy to whip up, this party punch is ideal for a backyard party.
Happy Canada Day friends!
- How To Make A Gorgeous DIY Bouquet for Less - May 22, 2023
- Unleashing Outdoor Fun: Why Parents Love Globber Scooters for Their Kids - May 18, 2023
- Our Family Recipe: Garlic Spaghetti with Lemon Pepper Sole - April 19, 2023