A seasonal dessert that hits the spot with hints of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves. This gluten-free, dairy-free version of the tradition pumpkin pie is a great option for an allergy-friendly dessert for Thanksgiving.
- 8 ounces gluten-free & dairy-free graham style crackers (I used Kinnikinnick)
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons of melted dairy-free buttery spread (or coconut oil or butter)
- 2 cups of pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups of almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350F. To prepare the crust, place cookies and sugar in a food processor and process until they are finely ground (not powdery!) Add in the melted dairy-free buttery spread and blend until moist, but still crumbly.
- Lightly grease a 9-inch pie or tart plate and press the crust into the bottom. Bake for 8 minutes, remove and cool completely.
- Combine pumpkin puree, sugar, spices, and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Using an electric beater, mix on low until well combined. Gently and slowly, add in the almond milk. Store to blend. Pour the filling mixture into the cooled crust. Bake at 350F for 45 minutes or until centre is set. Remove and allow to cool completely before serving.
- Top with whipped topping of your choice (coconut whipped cream is delicious with it!)
You can substitute the almond milk for full fat coconut milk. This will make a richer dessert which is also very tasty.