A hearty kale salad with roasted butternut squash and chicken, topped with goat’s cheese and dried cranberries.
- 5 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 yellow onion
- 1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 6 Tbsp grape seed oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 4–6 cups baby kale
- 4 Tbsp freshly squeeze lemon juice
- 2 oz. dried cranberries
- 4 oz. goat cheese, crumbled
- In a large bowl, toss the butternut squash, garlic, onion and chicken thighs with 2 Tbsp of grape seed oil (save the rest for dressing), salt, pepper, nutmeg, and ginger.
- Transfer onto two baking sheets, spread evenly, and bake at 425 F for 40-45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and slice the chicken.
- Set out four salad plates or bowls. For each serving, place a first layer of baby kale, top with butternut squash, chicken, goat’s cheese, and cranberries.
- Drizzle with grape seed oil and freshly squeezed lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
For this recipe, I find it easier to plate the salad for individual servings, but you can toss all ingredients in a large salad bowl as well. This recipe makes a good amount of squash. Depending on how much you want to add to the salad, you might find yourself with some left over to enjoy later.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 45
- Category: salad
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: salad, fall salad, butternut squash, kale, goat cheese, cranberries