Keto-Friendly Chocolate Cake
This cake is rich, fudgy, decadent and full of chocolate flavour.
- 1 1/2 cups fine almond flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup flaxseed meal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp chili powder optional to bring out chocolate flavour
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened or coconut oil, softened (not melted)
- 3/4 cup Monk Fruit Sugar or other keto-friendly sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp pure vanilla
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup espresso, room temperature or strongly brewed coffee
- 2 8 oz blocks of cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup Monk Fruit Powdered Sugar or other keto-friendly sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup espresso, room temperature or strongly brewed coffee
- 3/4 half and half cream
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
Preheat oven to 350°F and line two 8” pans with parchment and grease with cooking spray.
In a large mixing bowl, combine almond flour, cocoa powder, coconut flour, flaxseed meal, baking powder, baking soda, chili powder, and salt.
Grab your hand mixer and in a seprate mixing bowl, whip the butter and Monk Fruit Sugar together until light and fluffy. Add in the vanilla. Then add your eggs, one at at time, mixing them into the batter.
Now add the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
Finally, add the almond milk and espresso. Stir until incorporated into the mix.
Divide the batter between prepared pans and bake for 26-28 minutes or until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool before frosting.
For the frosting you will need a large mixing bowl. Using a hand mixer, whip the cream cheese and butter together until smooth. Now add in Monk Fruit Sugar, cocoa powder, coconut flour, and espresso and beat again until smooth (there will be tiny grains from the coconut flour that might remain). Finally add in the half and half cream and sea salt - mix until combined.
To frost the cake, place the bottom cake on a serving platter (or a firm cutting board and transfer to platter afterwards), frost the center generously and top with the second layer of the cake. Frost the remaining cake on top and on the sides. You can use whatever techique you'd like to complete your cake!
Serve immediately or refrigerate until you're ready to serve. Enjoy!